td5 chassis transplant for my 200tdi

OilIT

HI

I have been spending the past 2-4 weeks getting my 90 chassis suitable for an MOT man to look at - and I can tell if I am lucky enough this year - it will have to be the last.

I am being offered a new TD5 chassis as a replacement by a friend, and am aware of the need to move the engine mounts, but is there anything else that is different.

When I look at the chassis, it looks like the fuel tank is moved to the back on the TD5 90, did they keep the original mounts for the side mounting or would I have to weld these on as well (or am I leading myself up a blind alley here?)

Would really appreciate any thoughts or comments from anybody who has done this...

thanks

oilit

I haven't done it but I wouldn't fit a Td5 chassis to anything if you plan on towing or off road recovery on a regular basis.

The reason why can be seen here - the back end is made of tinfoil....

If I was going to go to the trouble of a chassis swap I'd want to start with a chassis worth swapping and the Td5 one is an excellent example of too much cost cutting.

You are right, the tank is in the back of later Td5 age 90s, not sure about the mounts though, I'd go and look on mine but I can't remember what the mountings look like on older 90s....

HI

I have been spending the past 2-4 weeks getting my 90 chassis suitable for an MOT man to look at - and I can tell if I am lucky enough this year - it will have to be the last.

I am being offered a new TD5 chassis as a replacement by a friend, and am aware of the need to move the engine mounts, but is there anything else that is different.

When I look at the chassis, it looks like the fuel tank is moved to the back on the TD5 90, did they keep the original mounts for the side mounting or would I have to weld these on as well (or am I leading myself up a blind alley here?)

Would really appreciate any thoughts or comments from anybody who has done this...

thanks

oilit

The fuel tank will need the front mounting plate all the holes are OK to bolt on to.

Peter

HI

thanks

oilit

Ouch!! :o

I was planning a bit of off roading now and again and definately some towing.....

Ouch!! :o

I was planning a bit of off roading now and again and definately some towing.....

Normal on road towing is OK as long as the eye doesn't jam up (which is what happened to mine in the thread linked to - though if it had jammed in my old 90 it wouldn't have done that). Now I grease the NATO ring before each time I tow the boat, though you shouldn't have to. I straightened the chassis with a sledgehammer and touch wood it hasn't happened again.

The thing that a Td5 chassis will not stand in any shape or form is a snatch recovery. Quite often with the conditions here a snatch of some sort is inevitable as the towing vehicle just doesn't have enough grip to recover somebody buried in soft peat, and there are sooo many bent rear crossmembers on Td5 age vehicles.

This is what happens when one lets go big time

P4250069Small.jpg

Not sure what happened exactly but I wouldn't wish to have been too close when it did :huh:

I think on that one it was probably a drop plate that broke, not sure, by the pattern of the damage.

The thing that a Td5 chassis will not stand in any shape or form is a snatch recovery. Quite often with the conditions here a snatch of some sort is inevitable as the towing vehicle just doesn't have enough grip to recover somebody buried in soft peat, and there are sooo many bent rear crossmembers on Td5 age vehicles.

ok, so life probably wouldn't be so bad with the UK 50mm ball hitch - and plenty of grease ;) and no snatching (just like I tell the kids !!!)

I 'm amazed at that! Suprised I missed the original post.

Totally reinforced my intensions of rebuilding the 200tdi I have when it gets knackered. I can't believe that this happens to a defender rear x-member, everyone knowes they get abuse.

Unbelievable.

What did you do? put a plate over the whole lot?

Jas