Customising a Landrover 110 Defender for Big Wide People Like Me

Meatslicer

There is a youtube video of some landrover 'thusiasts wandering around a chopped down and widened landy at a car-meet somewhere. It looks like it has a truck chassis and standard defender wings, doors and rear panels, but all of the middle bits, rad panels, bonnet, roof and rear door and cross member are at least 8 inches wider.

It has a landrover oval on the front but has boxer111 on the bonnet. Not sure if its a concept car or a kit but it looks good, apart from the cut down height of the cabin. All glossy black and clean. Must be a road car rather than for off road!

There is a youtube video of some landrover 'thusiasts wandering around a chopped down and widened landy at a car-meet somewhere. It looks like it has a truck chassis and standard defender wings, doors and rear panels, but all of the middle bits, rad panels, bonnet, roof and rear door and cross member are at least 8 inches wider.

It has a landrover oval on the front but has boxer111 on the bonnet. Not sure if its a concept car or a kit but it looks good, apart from the cut down height of the cabin. All glossy black and clean. Must be a road car rather than for off road!

its a racing land rover... :hysterical:

(skip to 0:55)

Thanks for all the comments guys. I have just bought a 1988 landy 110 hardtop to take home and dismember. Its got a 200 tdi engine and big wheels so I might use it for off roading and take my sankey trailer for a jaunt now and again.

Cheers all

Eric

Ahem, as I said earlier, its not a belly depth issue, its width across the shoulders I have a problem with.

I managed to drive my 110 home from bristol where it had been advertised on Ebay. The gears were intermittently not engaging and the brakes were decidedly ropey. I gave myself a serious case of cramp in the attempts to reach the hand brake and I had to leave the window down to steer in -2 degrees C with a wind chill factor of -5. Very chilly elbow.

There is a hell of a wobble on the front passenger side wheel hub that I am looking at tomorrow and the rain we had on the weekend is now slowly dripping as a brown solution onto the steering wheel.

I am really gonna enjoy chopping this one apart!

Buying a sand blaster too in the morning so I can get to work on the panels and chassis.

Happy days

Eric

Now that I have had these replies from you lot, I am gonna see if I can do outrigger surgery and extend the bulkhead sideways. That way I can keep all of the current steering and pedals as they are and widen my arm space.

Brave, brave comment...

Meatslicer got any pictures?

Before slicing a decent bulk head in twain, why not get one with rot in the middle and sell the old one (assuming its in good nick?)

Do you mean pictures of my manly physique or the planned surgery on the Landy?

Where do they sell middle-rotten bulkheads? All the ones I have seen are gone on the same places, in the footwell and under the windscreen drain gutter. Am I missing something?

Another wild thought, anyone ever welded a door frame over an existing door frame and transplanted the window winder and door catches onto the outer door? That would give another three or four inches of shoulder room.

Just bought myself a new 3hp compressor and a pressurised sandblaster so I can start stripping my panels and chassis as I remove them. Never done sandblasting so looking forward to making a real mess!

Eric

Do you mean pictures of my manly physique the planned surgery on the Landy?

Where do they sell middle-rotten bulkheads? All the ones I have seen are gone on the same places, in the footwell and under the windscreen drain gutter. Am I missing something?

Another wild thought, anyone ever welded a door frame over an existing door frame and transplanted the window winder and door catches onto the outer door? That would give another three or four inches of shoulder room.

Just bought myself a new 3hp compressor and a pressurised sandblaster so I can start stripping my panels and chassis as I remove them. Never done sandblasting so looking forward to making a real mess!

Eric

Good grief no, just some pictures of the Landy will suffice...

Actually you're right, then you could get two knackered down one half and then weld them together, if you cut off centre you'd only need to make one weld...

Be careful with the grit blaster, a good pair of gauntlets are worth their weight in gold!

looks more like a lower camera angle and a wide angle lens, make the body look wider.

I have started to strip out my 110, sold the roof rack that came with it for £180 on EBay, roof off next and rear tub off. I will be swapping the old roof with runners for an alloy roof and insulating the whole cabin with wolf insulation sheets when it all goes back together.

Need to strip down my sankey trailer too and make it into an engine, gearbox and chassis carrier so I can transport parts for rebuilding and galvanizing.

The dashboard is a mess with water getting in through the window seal, and the radio drains the battery. Took out all of the cobbled-together wiring today. The scrappy who drives round in his tipper truck has been busy picking up all of the rusty panels and old bolts.

Eric