Fog lIght switch adaptation

JST

i have a fog light switch from a td5 defender which i would like to fit into the spare slot on a Puma Defender.

i would like to use it to power the electric heated door mirrors.

does anyone have the knowledge to know which wires would be needed to switch a relay for the mirrors.

i guess it needs a const 12v supply to replicate the feed which would of been the lights on, i was going to wire in an ign feed for this.

the switch doesnt latch, so i guess its just repetitive pushing for on then off or does it go off when ign feed is lost?

i have 4 wires on it

red/yellow

black/grey

black

red/orange

would welcome any help

i am not too good with wiring diagrams!

Unfortunately the switch is just a simple momentary switch. It provides a connection to earth when pressed down but that is it. The actual function of connecting the fog light to power is done by a small ECU in the dash,

Luckily for you the functionality can be replicated with a simple latching relay. Wire it so that it is "pulsed" to earth by the fog light switch and then it will provide power to your mirror heaters. This is similar to how the heated screen functionality works.

I think, off the top of my head, the wiring is as follows:

Red/yellow - 'On' light, fed from fog light ECU

Black/grey - Connection from ECU to switch

Black - Ground

Red/orange - Illumination

So basically you need to supply one side of the coil (latch) circuit of your latching relay with 12V (ignition-switched), and feed the other half to the black/grey wire on this switch. This way when you press the switch, it will momentarily energise the relay, switching your heated mirrors on or off.

Or you could use another switch that latches, and swap the fascia over.

JST,

Wouldn't you want your mirror heaters to switch off after the frost/ice has cleared? It's probably better than relying on your memory to turn them off. If this is the case, then a timer facility, such as is used for heated rear windows, might be appropriate. If it switches them off too soon, just press the ON button again. However, be very wary of any of my electrickery comments, I'm no auto electrician. My skill set ends at operating a light switch!

Mike

When I bought me mirror heater elememts from Ploughman Bros I was told to use an ordinary switch with a relay. No timer relay. As the mirror heater would need to be on longer than a heated windscreen.

I use a switch with a warning light. Also I use my mirror heaters in wet weather which keeps the glass clean.

• 2 weeks later...

Rumour has it that BMW's have heated rear screen and mirrors on constantly. I don't know how true it is, but someone with a modern BM would know whether there is a switch for it. My source says there isn't, because they're always on there's no need for a switch. That only works on the assumption that they can handle that amount of use.