Welding helmets

MogLite

Had the chance to try a fancy speedglass helmet at Jez's workshop at the weekend.

It was nice, but I was still having a bit of difficulty following the path of a butt (oh-err) joint.

Has anyone tried an LED head torch on a helmet to illuminate the work-piece ?

turn the filter down one notch - its as if your eyesight has been damaged.............perhaps from your choice of reading material or deviant behaviour?? :ph34r: being fair it was set on dark dark

an LED is like a fart in a hurricane compared to the light output of an arc - come on Andy, grab another steak sarny and a cup of coffee and wake up :D

I have to admit that despite my continued praises for the el-cheapo eBlag helmets, I just bought a speedglas 900X on the stregth of various peoples recomendations here. List price seems to be in the region of £250 but I managed to find one on eBay for £125, which I thought was pretty reasonable. It might be worth your stretching your budget if you can find an esab or speedglas unit for sensible money.

Alternatly, the local welding shop to us (http://www.mercury-welding.co.uk/) were singing the praises of these helmets:

erinhelmetlge.jpg

which they are doing for £90 + VAT...

just a thought

Mark

I did notice after you left that it was set to shade 11, I set it to 10 to see a bit better - that's the beauty of adjustability. Wiping the dust & spatter off the screen every so often makes a big difference too :rolleyes:

Yep, getting the setting right is different from person to person. For a short bit of accurate work turn the shade down a little so you can see whats going on around the arc rather than staring into the arc.

• 1 month later...
Yep, getting the setting right is different from person to person. For a short bit of accurate work turn the shade down a little so you can see whats going on around the arc rather than staring into the arc.

I have a £45 Ebay auto-darkening hemet and it's fine. As for the torch idea - I weld outside and often into the evening (it's a Rangie - theres a lot to do!) and I got a 5-LED headtorch off Ebay (£5) that comes with a magnet on the back that attaches to a bit of steel glued to the helmet. If I knock it, it just falls off. The reason for having it is not to see during the welding, but (since even when 'off' the shield is like wearing sunglasses) while positoning the tip before striking the ark. It works well for this. Also when spannering underneath it helps to support my ageing eyesight...

Roger

p.s. This is my first time at this sort of thing so - be gentle :)

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased my Speedglass XL over 11 years ago. I use it almost every day and it has never let me down. I think it is still on the original batteries! :blink:

Mine has a manual and auto setting. If used in auto it darkens as soon as it detects sudden light change, i.e simply looking at the lights in our pit will trigger the mask. If used on the manual setting you can sellect how bright a light source is needed to trigger the mask. Very handy if you need to grind something as it saves removing the mask to fit goggles so that you can see what you are butchering, sorry, tidying. :D

The biggest gain is not having to flick the mask down, therefore freeing up one of your hands. What you do with your spare hand is up to you! <_<:P

Paul.

Ok

I have seen and admired a Speedglas 9002V or JWs, and now tonight used one too, what a loverley bit of kit - far far nicer than my ESAB one.

Ok

Having looked on ebay there are a number of 9000s version, whats the difference, what are the models etc compared with the 89002V vs 9002D ??

I am sold on one !....just need tio know the options ?

Is the 9002V the nicest ?...if not which is and why ?

Nige

All the specs are here.

I would buy the largest lens size I could get. Just helps you see the 'job' a bit better. I hate the welding through a letterbox feeling. :ph34r:

I think the biggest difference between the models is the shade variation. Some of the lower shade masks can be fitted with a tinted inner filter to move the shade up a number or two.

Make sure you buy the clear protective lens covers, as they will make the mask last years and can be lobbed away when it gets a bit splattery. ;)

Paul.

Im making some hanging baskets for my side windows - I might put some chintz curtains up but still undecided. Some hate the windows I like em, they're not so groovey for megahorse welding as you will get a slight tan but you really have to be laying it down fat and loooooong to do it

I like the side windows - especially when working underneath stuff. I got mine after scouring eBlag for a while. It is a 9002V cos it has the larger viewing area, the side windows and does 9-13.

Jez, when I asked in Laura Ashley for the appropriate sized curtains, they could only do floral print, chintz was a line they were looking into... :P

Mark