Welding helmets

MogLite

Sarah has bought me for christmas a ESAB welding helmet which seems to be superb quality adjustable and good qulaity, lucky man that I am :D

Si

Oh hell

Edited in complete and absolute error By Nige (HFH) , meant to have pressed the reply key and not the edit key,

so HUGE apologies to Simon R who I am sure will correct what I remeber reading above.... and prob kill me ....

which I deserve for not paying attention

Nige

Bloody Moderators!

What I actually said was:

"Err......I have a confession.....

After extoling the virtues of my cheap as chips helmet, my kind, generous...(not wishing to over-do it) Wife, Sarah bought me an ESAB 5/13 helmet. I'm really impressed with how clear the view is - almost as big a difference between this and my old one as between that and an old, non auto darkening one!

I'm very impressed!"

Si

Si

You wifey is a very very good un (you prob know that),

ESAB are not cheap and are damned fine Quality,

not as good as Speedglass,

but then again Speedgals are, IMHO having had a go with them, just BEAUTIFULL ,

.....but mine is an esab and has given a number of years decent trouble free service,

I just hanker after an 9002V now tho having played with one

Nige

If you only weld every so often then obviously splashing loads of cash isn't such an attractive prospect, but that skull one just looks naff IMHO. Buy a cheapo auto if you must but these days you can get them from Machine Mart et al where at least you have a fighting chance that:

a) It's half decent

b) You can get a replacement lens etc.

c) You can get a refund / new one if there's a problem

I would also worry that the skull novelty would wear off fairly quickly and you'd end up feeling like a right twunt every time you put it on :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

We are off to the States early this year and I'm considering ordering a Speedglass 9002v welding helmet (delivered to the hotel)

then I saw the 9002x

anyone have experience of the latter of these2 and would it be worth the extra $$ or will the 9002v suffice for a welding novice(hoping to get better)

We are off to the States early this year and I'm considering ordering a Speedglass 9002v welding helmet (delivered to the hotel)

then I saw the 9002x

anyone have experience of the latter of these2 and would it be worth the extra $$ or will the 9002v suffice for a welding novice(hoping to get better)

You're welcome to try my 9002v out Tony if you're ever in the area!

Cheers

Jon

• 2 weeks later...