Welding helmets

MogLite

APCs have essentially the same guts Lewis, the shape isnt as "chi" aligned (bit bulky) but still a good bit of kit, just make sure you can get replacement cover shields (bung a new one on when you get it and keep a couple of spares in a drawer for safe keeping, that way when you muller one on a sunday session its not a prob :) )

Well I'm not a Stig but the new helmet makes the difference like welding with your eyes open whereas before they were closed.

what a difference in the ability to actually see whats going on is fantastic!

thanks all for the advice/suggestions.

start at 11, delay at 2, up the sensitivity (unless it trips over on its own - Ive got one 12v flossy light that flicks it over for some reason, its the only thing other than an arc that does it... wierd :unsure: ), always up the filter to the highest number that still gives you a good weld view, HTH :)

At work, we have bought a couple of the Speedglass and a couple of ESAB 5/13's - to replace an ageing collection of (mostly speedglass) helmets. So I've had a chance to use both.

The Speedglass feels lighter weight and is better balanced which you notice big time when it's flipped up. The strap works better if you are taking it off & putting it on frequently. However, the ESAB seems to me to give a clearer view. When it's 'clear' the shade is very very low, making it good for grinding without removing fingers etc. The controls IMHO are better thought out and easier to operate in gloves.

The range of shades makes the ESAB useful for plasma cutting, gas cutting & welding - right up to MMA with half inch rods!

They are both similar money, but (and it surprised me) I would buy the ESAB.

Ed