windscreen wiper issues

02920al

hi, looking for assistance with my front wipers on my 05 freelander. Having a whirring noise for a few months and now ive had an issue where for 10 mins or so after starting the engine the wipers started juddering and were also very slow when on intermittant and full, and then not moving at all!!! They would work fine on max speed (3rd click) or when the lever was pushed down manually. Having had the wipers on max speed for another 5-10 mins i tried the intermitent and full and they worked as before. quite confused!

I cleaned the blades as soon as they stopped working etc so i know its not that, im guessing the wipers need a new motor to solve the whirring etc. Is this an easy job for a novice? anyone seen a good tutorial/guide?

I was starting to wonder if the battery may have something to do with the slow/juddering movements as it started working after 10-15 mins? warming up etc?

starting to worry a bit so any advice would be fantastic!

thanks all.

I think you get the whole assembly - wiper linkage and motor - or just the linkage.

It's a simple thing to swap out with the guidance of a Haynes manual. Worth getting a set of plastic rivets for the escutcheon/scuttle under the windscreen as you'll probably foul them up removing them..

Cheers

Blippie

Thanks CJ1, is that a simple/cheap enough fix do you know?

Sorry, I forgot to say, when I did mine it was a fairly easy job. Only thing that was a bit of a pain was getting the scuttle panel retaining clips out even using a screw to pop them up wasn't to easy, but once they are off the motor and linkage will be in front of you and only a couple of bolts and unplug the motor and swap it over and put it all back together. It took about half an hour and I bought a 2nd hand unit for under £20 delivered.

Thanks again, ordered the part and now waiting for it to turn up. Had a look this weekend and was able to unscrew the scuttle panel rivots easily to my surprise!!! linkage seems good but motor still making the whirring noise when linkage detached so think I'm in the right place!

Fingers crossed this will solve the problem...........