3/4/5/6 point harness fitment in a Defender

steve200TDi

Hi,

I have some 4 point harnesses that I'll be fitting to the Red TD5 (here) and wondered how people have fitted them.

The two shoulder straps will be fitted to the internal hoop so that's not a problem, it's mainly the lower lap straps that I'm more concerned about.

Ideas so far would be to utilise the existing seatbelt anchorage points, so for the outer points try and utilise the two studs that the seat belt coil fits too and for the inner try and utilise the existing anchor point.

My harness straps have eyes on them so it will be a case of bolting them to the brackets.

So what I'm looking for are ideas and more importantly.......pictures!

Thanks

Steve

The best I could come up with on mine was to use the existing seat belt mounting points using the inertia reel mount for one and the "stalk" mount for the other. I drilled through the existing plates and used eye bolts with spreader plates. Using this method I managed to retain the normal 3 point belts for normal use while allowing the 4 point ones to be hooked in as needed. I can take some photos at the weekend if it will help.

When I had the 6 point harnesses (with bucket seats) I made a subframe for the seat that bolted to the original seat mounting points and had a cross bar welded in that the eye bolts for the groin belts could be hooked to.

Thanks Dave.

Yes that seems to be the same approach I was thinking about as I still want to use the inertia reel seatbelts. As mine will be bolted it I will I will have to have a think about some sort of bracket for them to bolt to.

Some pictures would be great to get the ideas ball rolling.

Thanks

Steve

I drilled through the existing plates and used eye bolts with spreader plates.

Hi

Just make sure that the eye bolts etc. are up to the job. The ones you get in DIY shops often are not. I have rejected cars at scrutinering due to this.

Lars

If you buy proper harness eye bolts they screw into original seatbelt mounts, they are a unf thread + every car I've bolted these into have had same threads, there's a very good company McGill motorsports, they trade on eBay, they not only sell products but everything they sell they use on their own rally cars