Blower Motors, or upgrading from an asthmatic weasel

snailracer

My blower motor is starting to struggle. It barely pushes air out of the dash vents.

What are the options for replacing or upgrading the blower motor?

Is there a motor and fan from something else that will just fit in the snail with minimal fabricating etc?

I'm hoping to get an eberspacher fitted over xmas so I'm only really using it for clearing the screen, it just needs a bit more oomph.

Cheers

Matt

I fitted a 4" bilge blower (about £15 from ebay) when my series fan packed up, with tumble drier hosing from the intake and onto the heater core. It shifted a lot more air but was hardly original looking... I also had to wire up an appropriate resistor to get the two speed operation too...

I

My blower motor is starting to struggle. It barely pushes air out of the dash vents.

What are the options for replacing or upgrading the blower motor?

Is there a motor and fan from something else that will just fit in the snail with minimal fabricating etc?

I'm hoping to get an eberspacher fitted over xmas so I'm only really using it for clearing the screen, it just needs a bit more oomph.

Cheers

Matt

I've been wondering about this myself, not got around to doing any reserch yet though, there must be something that fits and gives a bit more umph.

Mav

I dont really want to go down the defender route as it involves cutting the passenger steering box bracket (I did look at your build, very informative).

I just think its inconsiderate that sellers on ebay don't list information for using non LR parts in landrovers :) Been looking at polo blower motors etc

Matt

Seeing as it's nearly on topic, a while ago, the resistor gave up on my series blower leaving me with just the fast fan speed. Has anybody had any success repacing the resistor? I've never seen them for sale seperately but i'm pretty certain you could knock something up, does anybody know of a source of a suitable resistor?

Cheers

Dave

I replaced mine when I put the bilge blower on. I used either a 1Ohm or 2Ohm 50w wire wound resistor - I remember buying one of each to try, can't remember which one I used... Maplins sell them, or somewhere like ebay :)

I screwed it down to the outside of the heater box to act as a heat sink...

I'd order one either side - I think I worked out the resistance based on the current draw from the bilge blower, not the resistance of the existing pack... But either way, it'll certainly drop the speed of the fan down for you, depends how bothered you are about it being similar to the 'old' low speed fan!

Hmmm http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/150926969179?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&cbt=y bit pricey

Holden do replacement motors and fans http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproducts.asp?sg=1&pgCode=083&sgName=Electrical&pgName=Heaters+%26+Electrical+Fans&agCode=0210&agName=Heater+Accessories

Or a bilge blower that is a pretty good straight in replacement http://www.jabscoshop.com/marine/blowers/35770-0092-continuous-duty-100mm-4-blower-flexmount-12-volt-dc.htm bit pricey tho

Does anyone have the original specs for the smiths blower? (amount of air moved, motor rating etc) It would be interesting to see how the bilge blowers compare, and whether there are any other options for replacing the motor.

Would it be worth fitting a variable speed controller/knob if the replacement was capable of shifting lots more air rather than just the two speed resistor option?

Poor heater performance (both temperature issues and airflow rate) are usually down to their poor condition rather than inadequate design, though such a small unit can never give the same comfort levels as the bigger units in modern vehicles, and the shape of the cabin hinders it further. Splits and holes in the flexible trunking, fan and matrix housings, lower fascia (which acts as the main duct) and perished seals at the bulkhead apperture and demister/fascia ducts cause enormous loss of airflow, and of course many blower fans and matrices are clogged with dirt or mud (I found a snooker ball, several nails and a few biros in my matrix!).

You can fit more powerful motors and fans if yours are worn out or inadequate, but watch the polarity on Defender blowers - their purple wire is the positive feed and the striped green wires (same coding as on the SIII motors) must be connected to the control switch, but that must be connected to earth, not a live feed.

Just out of interest, what's the score with fitting a Series II "Smiths" round blower as an auxiliary heater on a Series III? Is there enough room below the dash? I figure there must be plenty of thermal energy left in the coolant after it has left the normal heater, could the smiths be added in the circuit (provided it would fit) to give a bit more warmth in the cabin? I'm not suggesting piping it up to the dash though..

• 3 weeks later...

Various people have at various times suggested using a heater blower that draws air from insdie the vehicle, like using a lhd defender blower motor on a rhd vehicle for instance, and there's always been someone come along to say it won't work becuase it will just fog up. I have to wonder though, seeing as I've never seen a Series 2 with an internal smiths heater doing that, and that draws its air from the inside....

My 109 is having a 'low profile' cubby box....it'll match the seat height so the dog has somewhere to sleep when we're out. I'm going to fit a middle seat tool tray dubbery, and in that a low profile heater blower setup to blow warm air around the feet of the second row passengers. Saw a freelander heater unit on ebay the other day that looked like it was long and thin, might have a play with one of those. Also have a discovery blower assembly which might do the job.

Rehaeaters which heat recirculated cabin air are much quicker to warm the cabin up, assuming they have a similar matrix capacity and area, but they do lead to greater fogging than heaters with external sources. The fogging comes from the occupants' breath and can only be avoided by opening windows or vents, defeating the point of using these "fug stirrers" in place of a external source heater. I can make direct comparisons of this on my RRC, which has a button to select external or recirculated air for the heater; with recirc on, the windows initially clear more quickly but start fogging after a couple of minutes. At that point, the engine is half way to warm, so external air is becoming effective.

Of course, if you are using a fug stirrer in addition to the standard SIII heater, then you will have the best of both worlds, but you do need to refresh the internal air as well as reciculate it to avoid moisture building up.