2002 Defender TD5 ECA code

I recently purchased a 2002 TD5 Defender 110. Unfortunately it only came with one key and remote and no ECA code. Before I could purchase another remote and key the existing remotes battery stopped functioning and the engine was automatically imobilised. I have been to our local Landrover dealers who have mailed Landrover UK to obtain the ECA code to enable me to start the vehicle and drive it to the dealer to have the new remote syncronised. Unfortunately the database held by Landrover does reflect an ECA code for my vehicle due to the dealer who sold the vehicle originally having not entered this on the database with the VIN number.

Can anyone help or suggest who I can contact to obtain the required ECA code from?

Does the new remote have to be synchronised by the workshop at the local Landrover dealer?

Many thanks

Tim Canniford

I got my EKA code from here: http://www.mgrovercodes.com/land-rover/defender/eka-code/ after the main dealer said mine didn't have one!

My key fob had fizzed itself and failed to work even with a new battery.

You can buy any old Defender fob and get a main dealer to program the ECU to recognise the code. I programmed the fob for my Freelander (same type) to the defender so now one fob does both.

The dealer may charge a fair bit - up to £100, but independents will usually do it for about half that. It would be worth buying two fobs and getting both programmed at the same time which ought to cost the same!

Si

Well that's all a bit carp if you ask me!

I may be reading this wrong but it appears you are saying that third parties appear to be able to calculate the EKA code from the VIN.

Is it just me that thinks that is very bad?

EDIT: I don't have a TD5 so hopefully I have jumped to the completely wrong conclusion

EDIT2: I probably am jumping to the wrong idea ;)

EDIT3: Need more coffee :P

Barry,

I don't think they work it out from the VIN otherwise they would be able to supply it from the VIN bit it looks like they would need to download something from the AS10 which holds the EKA code it is nothing to do with the VIN, I guess JLR just register the EKA against the VIN.

It is however a further example of why you should move your ODB port.

Jason.

The link that Simon gave seems to do the whole thing online and return the code via email, the only thing they request as far as I could see was the vin and the money.

Although you can't see it on the actual page the description on view source says.....

DEFENDER EKA (EMERGENCY KEY ACCESS CODES) Service. Available Online In Minutes From 9am until 11pm Daily. All MG & Rover Codes Are Guaranteed The Orignal Code For The Vehicle.

if the vehicle is immob, but alarm is not armed, you would still be able to stick a nanocom to the OBD and read the EKA from it. As in passive immob.

Yes, i've done this before on mine.

If the vehicle was armed and you simple opened the door with the key and trigger the alarm, then it would not be so simple. You will need the EKA.

You can try to resync the fob by pressing lock button 4 times and then unlock button and see if it will budge.