Metric diff in imperial housing

LR90

OK, hoped to fit my 24spline 4.7 diff Sunday with some bling shafts while the front axle was in bits. Trouble was it just wouldn't fit in the housing so I ended up putting another stock series diff back in with my original shafts.

I've used a series diff but replaced the centre with a later 24spline centre. Crown wheel is fitted on a spacer and the metric bearings sleeved. All looked luverly jubbly on the bench (well floor really). Trouble is the two bearing adjusters are now sitting further out than they would have done before (by perhaps 1/8" each side) and are peventing me sliding the assembly into the axle casing. Of course I didn't know this while lying on my back with mud and ep90 falling on me and the diff getting heavier by the minute,.. ten minutes,.. half an hour,... :rolleyes:

So, what have I done wrong?

OK, hoped to fit my 24spline 4.7 diff Sunday with some bling shafts while the front axle was in bits. Trouble was it just wouldn't fit in the housing so I ended up putting another stock series diff back in with my original shafts.

I've used a series diff but replaced the centre with a later 24spline centre. Crown wheel is fitted on a spacer and the metric bearings sleeved. All looked luverly jubbly on the bench (well floor really). Trouble is the two bearing adjusters are now sitting further out than they would have done before (by perhaps 1/8" each side) and are peventing me sliding the assembly into the axle casing. Of course I didn't know this while lying on my back with mud and ep90 falling on me and the diff getting heavier by the minute,.. ten minutes,.. half an hour,... :rolleyes:

So, what have I done wrong?

I had a similar situation to this when I repaired a busted RR diff with a Series center - kept the case, pinion and crownwheel, replaced the diff and carrier.. IIRC it was just one side that stuck too far out in my case. The answer was to machine the bearing adjuster down so that it would fit. Sorry I cannot be more help than that - I guess Series diffs are a different dimention. Perhaps they have different (interchangeable?) adjuster screws to compensate?

Chris

I beleive there is a different bearing from somewhere within the dpeths of a series 2 gearbox that is the perfect size to allow this without the need for bearing spacers.

No idea of the part numbers, but speak to Richard at Keith Gott's as he usually keeps these in for this very purpose!

Otherwise the only option is to cut down the adjuster rings, but make sure that the screws that hold the air fitting thingy on dont bottom out!

HTH

Jon

Thanks guys. Grinding things down was the next logical step but didn't want to do that if I'd made some classical mistake and also I had never heard of the need to modify the adjusting rings.

Of course it will now wait until the next axle strip.