Replace RV8 camshaft question.

Rob_B

I think my RRC engine needs a new camshaft. It should not be a problem to fit it, but I need to know how much time this takes.

At work I have all the room and tools I need. The only problem is the limit on time I can be there. Otherwise I need to do it at home where I have very limited room (and time I can work on it)

I know it will be different for everyone. I just need to get some idea. Am I looking at a few hours or more than a day.

Have just done exactly that on my '84 3,5 auto.

If you get up really early and stay really late I'd say it's possible in one day. BUT being on a time limit often introduces problems, and you might not be so happy with the end result. For instance I had only ordered 8 lifters for some reason, so if you stood at your work with this issue, you would really be screwed. So I'd rather plan it good, and find the place where you have the most time, and do a proper job. You really never know what kind of problems you could run into. Only tools you'll need other than basic ones, are a good airsource and an impact for the crank bolt, and a puller for the wheel/balancer assy. (though I was able to just pry it off with a crowbar, but you might not be so lucky)

And you don't have to remove the sump, just the two front most bolts, and use plenty of RTV on assembly. So you don't really need to be on a lift, you could easily do it on a garage floor.

I did mine over several days. Just a few hours at a time. Took me about a week to get it all back together. My problem was not having a front cover gasket in the gasket kit I had ordered, but not finding out until I needed one.

Then I would say just make sure you order the right one! Have a look at my thread ,http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=69483&st=140

I did mine in a day on my drive but iv'e done a few so know what to expect,plus i was a mechanic for 15 years so that helps ;)

Hardest part of the job is the front pulley and the front cover,sometimes the pulley just falls off other times it could take ages. Same for the front cover,if all the bolts come out easy the cover will be off in no time but they can be a right pain sometimes and the bolts have a tendency to seize into the cover and snap the heads off!

I got a cam kit from Reel Steel which has everything you need but always check before you start the job to see if everythings there,it's worth getting a timing chain kit as well just in case thats knackered too (you have to take it off to do the camshaft anyway) I'd give yourself a couple of days to do it and strip it somewhere where your not limited to those 2 days in case things do go wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

I did my last one over 2 days as I wanted to do lots of cleaning up of the engine, not so bad a job and did not brake a thing(highly unusual for me LOL) Done a few before but it had been a while, just triple check you have everything before you start to pull it apart.