paint or powdercoat?

Russell_ds80

You are getting proper powder coating mixed up with plastic coating. Powder coating doesn't lift. It does chip and where the chips expose bare steel, the steel will rust, just like it would with paint.

Same difference.....

Or is the plastic coating applied with a brush or spray ?

If you get powder coating done properly, then you have a very good durable finsh which resists impacts. 4muddyfeet.com use it a lot and I have been very impressed with the results. Contact them and ask who they use.

Jon

Can I recommend floor paint?

The stuff intended for concrete floors is possibly the toughest paint I've come across. I've used it on cages, wing bars & chassis bits.

The range of colours is a bit limited - white, black, grey, blue and green in various shades depending on supplier.

It sticks pretty well to bare metal with a sheen of rust to give it something to key in to and appears to have good waterproofing & anti corrosion properties. It appears fairly expensive - but for spraying you have to thin it right down as its quite gloopy so ends up being reasonable cost.

Works well as a dipping paint without thinner - ideal for giving small items a thorough, thick coat of paint.

Si

Hammerite is great stuff - on railings, gates etc and other things that don't move.

Provided they're indoors and in a climate controlled environment.

Did some repairs on the 88's chassis once, the only paint I had was black hammerite - forgot to organise the paint department before I started the job. blow me 6 months later there's not a trace of it left!

I always had good results with hammerite but i live in a dryer country. Yes it does chip easily..............especially on the rollcage, but its perfect on the bodywork. Mine is rollered in hammerite, but i must be honest that the new hammerite is not the same as the old one. The damn eu regulations have turned it into rubbish paint.

Back to the original question, i do suggest paint, easy to touch up the offroad scrapes and battle scars....................

G

hammerite is carp. use Rustoleum combicolour - miles better and you can get it in any RAL colour you want - custom mixed

I think combi colour is great stuff too, it can be applied easily in cold weather and sprays nicely.

It's also a lot cheaper than hammerite ;)