TD5 Exhaust Studs Snapping

Hi All

After finally getting the old girl up and running ok, I have replaced two broken Exhaust studs one from either end of the manifold and replaced the tin gasket. Then three days later the upper one at the right hand end Exhaust Studs (not replaced) has snapped. Is it the done thing to replace all the studs at once or is it just a coincidence. Also do they make a better exhaust gasket for a TD5 ?

Regards

Richard

The studs are breaking due to the exhaust manifold warping, quite common, what you need to do is get your exhaust manifold machined flat, fit all new studs, and a new gasket. Then all will be ok

Don't buy a new manifold as that will just warp, you need one that has warped and been machined flat. It only costs about £30-40.

Andy

I guess the engine is chipped ? The excess exhaust gas temperatures cause the warping.It will do it all again,machined sh manifold or new.The answer is to cut the webs in between each port on the manifold.Then the standard studs and gasket will be fine.

The engine wiring loom will be the next thing to melt....

Ian at IRB sells machined manifolds which may save you some time and effort when I changed my engine I swapped the studs for uprated Worth studs it was well worth it as I had an issue with the replacement manifold (not from Ian) and it prevented damage to the studs, but I had also used a couple of LR ones and these snapped and became a PITA.

Jason.

Mine isn't chipped, everything is standard.

I would check it carefully then, if it is not remapped then another reason they warp is when the diesel is leaking into the engine and not delivering the correct amount of fuel, causing it to burn lean and give a hot EGT without showing up on the water temp, this is what happened to mine.

It may be worth keeping a close eye on the oil level.

Jason.

Hi Their

Mine has been remapped to 170 bhp so that might be the reason,but the MPG has improved !! I also use it as a work horse and have done 60,000 in the last 12 months as I put a Disco Transfer Box on it the engine speed is down. The new fuel pump I had put in 3 months ago has gone up the shoot and I dropped it back to the garage this evening as they are going to change it under warranty, they did point out that as it is a true L/R Pump it only has a 12,000 mile warranty, for normal owners no prob, but I got in with 2,000 to spare.

Thanks for the advice and I will cut the webbs when I do it as well.

Cheers

Richard