What pokey Diesel engine to tow with?

There's a big difference between thinking you have huge amounts of power and an actual dyno sheet. Getting 200bhp out of a 200TDi doesn't seem to be all that easy, it'll need to have gobs of torque or you'll have to move peak torque up significantly.

With just an intercooler and no pump muds you'll maybe hit 130bhp...

The Cummins is a totally different beast, with huge amounts of torque. It's easily modded to give a lot more too, but everything in a Land Rover would have a quick chuckle and then break into little pieces if you touch the accelerator.

Could get 750hp and over 1200 lb/ft of torque without touching the bottom end of a cummins...

what im running now will easilly spin the 37s (that are 12.5" wide) on dry tarmac. i dont make a habbit of doing it though.

Believe it or not the truck gearbox is probably my weak point now as the ZF s5-42 is only rated to 420lb/ft.

There's a big difference between thinking you have huge amounts of power and an actual dyno sheet. Getting 200bhp out of a 200TDi doesn't seem to be all that easy, it'll need to have gobs of torque or you'll have to move peak torque up significantly.

With just an intercooler and no pump muds you'll maybe hit 130bhp...

The Cummins is a totally different beast, with huge amounts of torque. It's easily modded to give a lot more too, but everything in a Land Rover would have a quick chuckle and then break into little pieces if you touch the accelerator.

Theres also a big difference between what i'm saying and what you think i'm saying.

My 200 currently produces around 120bhp because its done all of 2000 miles since it was rebored and fully rebuilt. 1 day when i have some money to waste it will produce alot more... How long it'll do it for is anyones guess.

my 2p. i personally wouldnt take gearbox coupling ideas from the "famous" 6bt 90 nothing against him, and he has done something new but, where it is a close coupled system, and therefore much nicer in that sense. It hasnt got the strength, or sexyness as this one: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=506573876041949&set=a.137137826318891.22532.100000680242790&type=3&theater

that photo onwards. (you may not be able to see them so shout up if not)

basically, instead of the welded plate coupling that isnt lined up, and leaks, his is a billet machined couple of adaptor plates, with a DTI aligned shaft. still a close coupling but a darn sexy one if you ever saw one!

my 2p. i personally wouldnt take gearbox coupling ideas from the "famous" 6bt 90 nothing against him, and he has done something new but, where it is a close coupled system, and therefore much nicer in that sense. It hasnt got the strength, or sexyness as this one: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=506573876041949&set=a.137137826318891.22532.100000680242790&type=3&theater

that photo onwards. (you may not be able to see them so shout up if not)

basically, instead of the welded plate coupling that isnt lined up, and leaks, his is a billet machined couple of adaptor plates, with a DTI aligned shaft. still a close coupling but a darn sexy one if you ever saw one!

Mr Witty has the benefit of mine and Tom Davies' experience and hindsight.

Also the close coupled method him and Tom used is only suitable for the older Spicer box as it replaces the back plate of the box. Though that box isnt as smooth as the ZF. Though the Spicer has the benefit of being easier to mate and a couple of inches shorter overall.

My oil seal leaks due to the poor finish on the spud shaft but i will sort that when i take it all out.

I still reckon a remote transfer would be tidier, easier and less problematic. If you have room.

thats tight on a 110 tbh... combining them is the best option by far... especially when done as neat as Mr Witty:

702049_537752042924132_1446995591_n.jpg?

When the lumps had an overhaul not that it needs it and a lick of paint it will look a little tastier :D

When I looked into a Cummins engine swap into a Landy I thought there wouldn't be enough room to undertake such a conversion and ended up buying a 7.3L Ford V8 diesel, but then I found a few videos on YouTube of landys running Cummins lumps in and thought it can be done so why not do it.

The only thing was I had no idea how to go about the conversion...

After speaking to the Steg about his conversion and then having a good look under the 90 I had a rough idea of what needed to be done. After a bit more research I decided about getting an engine and ended up with a 1998 210Bhp 6BTAA out of a daf 55 and a Dana Spicer 5 speed box.

It's taken me roughly 2 months to make the gearbox plates as the machine shop was shut over Christmas but as of yesterday the gearbox and transfer box are mated together.

Next weekend I will be fabricating the engine mounts and chassis mounts and hope to have it sat in within the next few weeks.

I miss my V8 but this engine offers so much more grunt I just couldn't resist and will be worth it once it's done :)

When the lumps had an overhaul not that it needs it and a lick of paint it will look a little tastier :D

haha when i get a new chassis mine will be made sexy too haha

How long is that combo then? From the front face of the X-Brake to the front most point of the engine? :)

and from the crank pulley to the mounting face on the LT230 (where the input is) on mine is 63-64"

Wittys is 61.5" ish lol

Did the machine shop keep a pattern for the spicer/lt230 adapter?

No, I marked out and drilled the plates to the required size then instructed the machine shop on what to bore out, to counterbore and to mill off. It really isnt hard to work out the bolt pattern just measure everything in inches and you will be fine, start with one hole then measuring in a series of triangles you can accurately work out the pattern.

Still have my notes pinned to my wall, in the future I might get it drawn up in CAD in case I attempt another conversion then it saves the hassle of marking it all out and they can bang the program on a cnc machine and can be machined in a matter of hours rather than days.

Still have my notes pinned to my wall, in the future I might get it drawn up in CAD in case I attempt another conversion then it saves the hassle of marking it all out and they can bang the program on a cnc machine and can be machined in a matter of hours rather than days.

if me and you could cad it between us it would be ideal as im thinkin spicer box will be a plan soon lol

yes no problem nick, I'm sure I can get a set of plates made bluespanner I still have a few modifications to make such as having two recess cut for O-rings to seal the plate to the transfer box and to the gearbox plate and when I next have the boxes apart I am going to re-drill the holes which bolt the plates together and heli-coil them as this will provide a stronger thread than the aluminium.

The plates roughly cost me £300 to make, £120 for the aluminium and £180 worth of machining and I think it was about £135 for the adapter shaft to be made.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...