What pokey Diesel engine to tow with?

I put a Chev rat motor into a 110 back in 1998,had a TH400 auto against a 230 transfer box.The engine was rated at 550ftlb with about 480bhp.We had no problems with the transfer box or diffs.It was only used on the road,but would spin its wheels on a dry road.I cant think the Cummins would do any more harm than the rat motor.Would be a nice conversion - and they last forever too.

Witham have this monster but its part of a parts list for sale as a pack.

Search

This is a comprehensive spares package for the Leyland DAF T244 4x4 Truck.

The parts are from low mileage trucks in very good operational condition.

The vehicles are checked for operational functionality before spares recovery is undertaken.

They currently have all lubricating fluids in the assemblies to ensure they remain in good condition but will be drained of fluids prior to export.

The package consists of:

* Cummins 5.9Lt Turbo Diesel Engine

* Turner T5-350 5 speed + 1 reverse Gearbox

* Getrag 304 2 Speed + Neutral Transfer gearbox

* ZF8045 Steering Box with Drop arm (power assisted)

* Front Axle - Complete including hubs, brakes and drag link

* Rear Axle - Complete including hubs, brakes and Load sensing valve

* 4 x Wheels and tyres

* 4 x Leaf Springs

* Steering Arm

* 5 x Air Tanks

* 2 x Cab Doors

* Shock Absorbers

* Fuel Tank mounting supports and straps

* Air Filter housing and ducts

* 2 x Front Bumpers

* 2 x Rear Light Clusters + Outriggers

* Quantity of Air Valves

* Air Dryer

* Master Switch & Slave socket

* Cab Jacking Pump, Rams and pipes.

* Radiator

* Header/Expansion Tank

* 3 x Prop Shafts

* Steering Column, Wheel and switch gear

* Exhaust Silencer

* U bolts, bump stops and saddles

* Dash Instrument Binnacle

* Front light Panels, complete with lights and guards.

Add item to your favourites

Nick, what makes a spicer easier to mate to the transfer box than a ZF? And how have you rigged up the gear change?

basically the way the back half of the casing bolts together... the spicer has a flat plate on the back which is easy to replace with one you make to take the LT230

and my ZF gear change is a modded LT77 gear lever

At the risk of being a really boring suggestion, have you considered a 200Tdi with tweaked pump, VNT turbo (they bring peak torque down from 1800 to 1400rpm on the 300, so I assume it'd do the same on the 200) running with a little more boost and a big intercooler? That way, you'll have a simple fit with no chopping about, and all standard or off-the-shelf parts. Insurance should be easy and you won't have to worry about blowing or upgrading the transmission. It'll even leave more space and budget for an auxilliary heater like an Eberspacher or Webasto! As a towing vehicle, an underdrive might also help, or fitting an LT230Q from a Discovery with 4.71 diffs from a SIII (the diff swap alone would probably be too low geared)? The latter would be less flexible than the underdrive, permanently lowering the overall gearing and wanting a speedo recallibration, but it'd give plenty of torque and would again use standard parts, making maintenance and repair far easier.

At the risk of being a really boring suggestion, have you considered a 200Tdi with tweaked pump, VNT turbo (they bring peak torque down from 1800 to 1400rpm on the 300, so I assume it'd do the same on the 200) running with a little more boost and a big intercooler? That way, you'll have a simple fit with no chopping about, and all standard or off-the-shelf parts. Insurance should be easy and you won't have to worry about blowing or upgrading the transmission. It'll even leave more space and budget for an auxilliary heater like an Eberspacher or Webasto! As a towing vehicle, an underdrive might also help, or fitting an LT230Q from a Discovery with 4.71 diffs from a SIII (the diff swap alone would probably be too low geared)? The latter would be less flexible than the underdrive, permanently lowering the overall gearing and wanting a speedo recallibration, but it'd give plenty of torque and would again use standard parts, making maintenance and repair far easier.

that sounds more expensive than the silly engine swap lol

£300 for a 200Tdi engine and all ancilliaries, and I don't think the VNT turbos cost the earth. The diffs could probably be done for the cost of the gaskets and oil only (I have a 4.71 Salisbury diff sitting in my garage that I'd give away). No custom mounts, fly wheels, adaptors, prop shafts or blown transmission parts... The only really expensive item would be an underdrive, if you went with that, but I don't think gearing alterations of any sort would be required with the tweaked Tdi anyway. And there's a lot to be said for having a quick and easy installation and easy sourcing of replacement parts in the future, and you know it's going to fit and work well from the outset, with plenty of other peoples' experience in doing it. Just a point of view... But, I do see the attraction of trying something new, just for the challenge of it. It's more of a risk, but could be more satisfying to complete.

I though VNTs were cheaper than that. Oh well, there goes that idea for my Tdi RRC...

Since you already have the Tdi in, it seems a better option to maximise its performance rather than start again. I'd be worried about what the Cummins would do to the diffs and shafts. But, it's probably less fun.

I though VNTs were cheaper than that. Oh well, there goes that idea for my Tdi RRC...

Since you already have the Tdi in, it seems a better option to maximise its performance rather than start again. I'd be worried about what the Cummins would do to the diffs and shafts. But, it's probably less fun.

just use a vnt from a 2.7 merc sprinter, thats all the big company's do. then they sell it only for another £400/£500. :rtfm:

I think you'll find a bit more research and money goes into it. Not quite as simple as that.

agreed... getting the turbo sized and fitting it so all the pipes work is the easy part... controlling it to dance like you want to is ALOT of work. the months you spend pissing about with vane control will make that 1200-1500 seem cheap i bet.

the main point about going for a big truck derived engine is the economy and reliabilty. Mine will churn out 200-300hp and silly amounts of torque all day long (the engine i fitted was VERY ropey and 190k Miles and after a new turbo and I.P it performs faultlessly. god knows what it used to be run on :/ ) and it will do 30-35mpg towing a caravan :D

just use a vnt from a 2.7 merc sprinter, thats all the big company's do. then they sell it only for another £400/£500. :rtfm:

2.8 merc sprinters and alot of other vehicles besides.

And there normally controlled through boost boost pressure which on a VNT is a carp idea.

200bhp from a 200tdi should be easy with no special valves or injectors or household chemicals, just a decent (mine was 40 quid) intercooler, a decent turbo and the correct mods to the INSIDE of the injector pump.

There's a big difference between thinking you have huge amounts of power and an actual dyno sheet. Getting 200bhp out of a 200TDi doesn't seem to be all that easy, it'll need to have gobs of torque or you'll have to move peak torque up significantly.

With just an intercooler and no pump muds you'll maybe hit 130bhp...

The Cummins is a totally different beast, with huge amounts of torque. It's easily modded to give a lot more too, but everything in a Land Rover would have a quick chuckle and then break into little pieces if you touch the accelerator.