Engine Replacement Options

Diablo

Re: the radiator, how does the oil cooler part work? Does it simply run through some of the tubes that go across the front of the vehicle?

Considering taking the thing apart this weekend and having a look in it.

Re: the radiator, how does the oil cooler part work? Does it simply run through some of the tubes that go across the front of the vehicle?

Considering taking the thing apart this weekend and having a look in it.

oil cooler is a canister within the radiator side tank, it's hoses connections are on the rear face.

Probably worth looking into. Think I'll have a more thorough look at the weekend. The old oil pipes appear to have very little in the way of shrapnel in them, but will cut them open to double check.

Otherwise I might buy a 'cheap' plastic rad and then sort mine out properly later on.

ok next problem:

starter motor solenoid stud is stripped (who knows how it didn't fail before). Rang Keith Gott who said they have them on the shelf, but different makes have slightly different solenoids.

Is this correct, and does anyone know what the differences are? The starter I have is prestolite (not the best make I know, but has been without fault for the entire time I've had the vehicle)

And it is going again! A few teething problems, such as notchy steering and the clutch seems to have a very low/short biting , but apart from that it is fantastic. Much much more lively and a hell of a lot more refined

Does anyone have a picture of the oil cooler out of the radiator?

I saw one somewhere on infernal net a few weeks ago, but can't remember what page it was on, the tank is just a capped cylinder with connections for the pipes/hoses, it's nothing special

And it is going again! A few teething problems, such as notchy steering and the clutch seems to have a very low/short biting , but apart from that it is fantastic. Much much more lively and a hell of a lot more refined

readjust the clutch pedal height as detailed in the genuine workshop manual or see the attached info,

post-20-0-22886300-1357987350_thumb.jpg

Cheers western. Didn't touch hydraulics of clutch, but put new one in, so I guess that's why it's changed. Shall have a go at that later.

Maverik: I had dreamed of it too, but never planned to do it. Really impressed with it

Sharp clutches with a bit point at near-full pedal movement are usually caused by trapped air. Try to lift the nose of the car as high as possible for clutch bleeding by using ramps or axle stands (not sloping ground or high lift jacks) to make sure the air in the slave cylinder goes to the port end, not the piston end. It makes a huge difference. Just make sure the slave has been plumbed in correctly, too - the pipe should feed into the lower port and the bleed nipple or pipe into the upper port.

A new clutch will have bite point a bit nearer the floor as the diaphraghm spring will be further depressed due thicker plate , pusing the plunger right back into the slave cylinder should expel any trapped air , and then slowly pump back to contact position as its a hydrostatic unit .

Thanks, though with a bit of driving it seems to be a fair bit better now.

Steering pump is the next problem! Seems to judder the steering wheel when on full lock.

Hey ho, there's always got to be something on the to-do list eh