200tdi Chripping noise

nidge

My Defender 200tdi has developed want sounds like "Birds Chripping " noise when under load. Sounds nasty so can't be good.

Only there when I press the trottle, when I lift off, it disappears, and also when I press the clutch its gone too !

Engine revs fine when in neutral and no drive.

Checked diff, Ujs , transfer box bearing all seam fine ..So I suspect engine related or maybe gearbox.

Your help or ideas, much apperciated

Tks

Nigel

The only thing I can think of that fits the symptoms is gearbox bearings. If you put the box in gear and the transfer in neutral, do you still get the noise?

Does it make any difference how much load the transmission is under? If you jack up a wheel so it can spin freely, does it still happen?

Si

Sounds very much like UJ's...

Pull the props off and check properly... You could probably confirm by greasing them properly, but if chirping now and it goes when grease added you are on a clock.. They are already wearing.

If the grease proves the point, change them.

Neil

Sounds very much like UJ's...

Pull the props off and check properly... You could probably confirm by greasing them properly, but if chirping now and it goes when grease added you are on a clock.. They are already wearing.

If the grease proves the point, change them.

Neil

I'd second that; bird noises=u/j fubared

The only thing I can think of that fits the symptoms is gearbox bearings. If you put the box in gear and the transfer in neutral, do you still get the noise?

Does it make any difference how much load the transmission is under? If you jack up a wheel so it can spin freely, does it still happen?

Si

You might be onto something there Simon, will check your suggestion this evening.

Tks

N.

I have exactly the same problem and I know that is the elastic band that goes round the alternator. I know it's loose as the alternator is only held on by the bolt on the adjustment bracket at the moment, and as you describe when you put your foot down and the engine speeds up the noise gets worse. Also the belt as a few teeth missing so is will be replaced when I get the new alternator mounting bracket

my monies on belts or alternator...

Hmm could also be timing belt tensioner and idlers... they usually just rattle though when they're on there way out... could also be water pump bearings... but they again usually just rattle as aposed to chirp imho.

Check how much end float there is on your water pump and alternator, pop the belt of the alternator and give it a spin, see if the can hear anything... spray in some WD into the alternator see if the noise goes away... also buy some anti slip belt spray, see if that makes it go away for a bit...

Had a quick look at the alternator last night in the dark... the pulley looks in poor condition, rung the the head on the 10mm bolt trying to get the alternator off !!

Will tackle it at the weekend but could be the source of the problem , will update in due course.

Many tks to all for help, a top forum when you need a problem sorted ! :i-m_so_happy:

Nidge.

• 5 years later...