TD4 Auto lack of pulling power

Jonners

Hi Chaps,

I have an 06 plate TD4 with a manual gearbox (30k miles) and my son has an 05 TD4 with an auto box (50k miles). Both cars run well and are fitted with EGR blanking kits. Both average similar MPG's in general use with the Autobox returning a slightly lower average which is correct according to the values given in the manual. So everything seems to be in order.

However, my sons car loses power rapidly on reaching a long uphill incline and gets left way behind.

As we are both relatively new to Freelander ownership we wondered if this lack of power is a known characteristic of the TD4 auto and if not, then can anyone suggest possible remedies?

We have checked all the filters and cleaned up the inlet pipes etc. when the EGR blanking kit was fitted. The intercooler hose is not holed.

Look forward to your replies - Jonners

Thanks FF, saw your other posts on similar power loss issues. Looks like we need a day under the bonnet to check everything thoroughly. Notice you mentioned the MAF. Is it true that these tend to be unreliable, even after minimal mileage?

Cheers - Jonners

Some people think they are, mine was faulty but the car was bought as scrap with 126k on the clock so can't really be disappointed by that. Given you have two TD4's to hand you could try swapping the MAFs over, very quick if you have a 5-pointed (yes, 5 not 6 points) Torx bit or saw a slot into the screw-heads as a previous owner had on mine. Bit more kerfuffle to swap the complete AFM but not too onerous.

Thanks FF, saw your other posts on similar power loss issues. Looks like we need a day under the bonnet to check everything thoroughly. Notice you mentioned the MAF. Is it true that these tend to be unreliable, even after minimal mileage?

Cheers - Jonners

I've had 4 TD4's and they all experienced problems with the MAF sensor to a greater or lesser degree. Usualy if feels like there is a speed limiter fitted as pressing the throttle as almost no effect on the revs or power.

Often cleaning them with brake cleaner as a decent effect, but eventially they have to be replaced. Don't get a cheap chinese one of Ebay, they are usually worse than the faulty one they replace.