LJ70 axles almost fitted

SeriousIIa

looking good bowy.

Does the draglink go in front of the axle or behind. From your site it looks you tried both.

Has it got lockers yet?

Daan

No lockers (yet)

The draglink goes behind the axle. Tried in front because I thought it would touch the springs. But on a toyo it sits in the back. After a bit of fiddling with the diff angel it clears the leaves perfectly (also less chance of bending) and it's way stronger designed then the standard landrover version.

Also used the toyo master brake cilinder. With a small adapter it fits perfectly on the standard brake pedal box. Will make some pictures today. Even the bonnet still shuts (only 3 mm space above the vacuumbooster) Only the spat has to be modified extensively. This is planned for today/tomorrow.

Cheers Bowy

It may be perspective but that looks like a BIG axle - how much do they weigh?

It is the perspective then. They are just as big as series landrover axles. Even 1 or 2 cm less wide. (so big rims needed!) They are a few kilos's heavier because the stronger internals but not much, but especially the rear axle is much lighter then my previous Salisbury.

Cheers Bowy

how did you mate the series drive shaft to the toyota diff?

I took the driveflange of the toyo diff. Then machined it down to accept the landrover pattern (with the center ring) en drilled new holess (left the old ones) . Easy to do and half an hour work per flange.

I my opnion also the best option. Also possible to make a Toyo/LR prop. But I think props wear faster the flanges, so more often to be replaced. And a LR prop is everywhere readily available (even use standard length probs)

Cheers Bowy

OK, called a Bunderra here, (model # didn't ring a bell) same 8" high pinion front diff as a 78/80/100 series. 4.375:1 ratio. (80 series was 4.1:1)

Often used here in a Rover housing. That correct ?

Almost. The SWB version had a diff ratio of 4.9 the long I've got no idea. One thing is for sure the "rockcraling abilities of me series have improved fastly!! :D

Cheers Bowy