300tdi died

DAN82SED

Alright guys, hopeful someone might be able to shed some light on why my 98 disco won't start

Was driving fine then the engine cut out and wouldn't restart

The ow plug light won't come on now and fuel doesn't seem to be getting past the stop solenoid I ran a cable to the battery and the glow plug light came on but still wouldn't start

The engine turns over fine but doesn't seam to be getting fuel

I've pulled the dash apart to fit a spider bypass only to discover there wasn't one

Any ideas?

The engine overheated about 3hrs before it died but drove fine once cooled and topped up so I don't think it is related

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers dan

I'm going to remove and clean connections this evening. When I wired it direct to battery it was clicking so presume its working. Not to sure as to whether it is ecu or edc?? a bit confused about the whole immobiliser location Will take a photo tonight

Would the glow plug light not coming on be linked to the fuel solenoid?

Cheers Dan

Right Pretty sure its the immobiliser.Just checked if there is power to the fuel solenoid and there's not. It's a 3 pin but 2 of the wires have been pulled out by previous owner by the look of it. One of the loose cables is showing 10v but the one connected to the solenoid has no power. Still can't find the ecu.

Any ideas how to fix it when I find it?

Just tried starting it again with a direct cable from solenod to battery still wouldn't start. This time noticed that if I shook the cable to the battery the glow plug light would go on and off. If I left the cable connected the glow plug light would stay off. Any ideas?

Will have to wait till tomorrow to remove the solenoid.

Bit of progress today. Changed the solenoid and hot wired it and the engine started. Defiantly an electrical issue but still none the wiser. Any electrical wizards got any ideas. Gonna start pullin the loom apart tomorrow. Still got no power to pump or glow plugs

Bit of progress today. Changed the solenoid and hot wired it and the engine started. Defiantly an electrical issue but still none the wiser. Any electrical wizards got any ideas. Gonna start pullin the loom apart tomorrow. Still got no power to pump or glow plugs

You're probably on to it there. A friend had a camper van once, I forget now what make it was, but it had a similar setup to the TDi's in that it had a fuel solenoid on the pump to stop the fuel. When he bought the van the PO gave him a can of easystart and said it was occasionally a tempramental starter. One day while we were out camping it refused to start, towed it round the field it wouldn't start. I eventually started looking at the electrics and jumped the solenoid from the ciggy socket. The voltage at the solenoid was well down. I think what was happening was that the volts were being lost in the loom, and the solenoid wouldn't open. By squirting easystart up the air intake the engine would start, the alternator would kick in and raise the voltage enough to open the solenoid, and then it would run on fuel. Took a new fused feed off the battery to a spare switch on the dash, then on to the solenoid, and the thing never failed to start again....well not while he had it anyway...apparently the new owner didn't like that...but what they did about I don't know.

problem sorted, it was the solenoid but only just remembered that when i was messing about with it i forgot to disconnect the battery and when i connected it, it sparked. checked the fuses again and sure enough found the culpret. All this over a 10A fuse.

thanks for everyone imput