Tie down straps

mmgemini

I use ratchet straps to hold my Wolff boxes and other stuff in the back of my Defender.

I have Cargo Rail on the floor with the straps sewn to the bits that fit into the cargo rail.

Again I've managed to knacker a ratchet...That generally means curring the stiching on the strap and having a new ratchet fitted.

SO ? ?

What if I took the ratchet off the strap and replaced it with Velcro ? Would the Velcro be strong enough ??

Pretty sure if you use enough velcro you could secure anything to anything- my question would be how do you tension it down snugly like a ratchet strap?

Ah, I was assuming the velcro would be used to attach the ratchet so when they needed replacing no more sewing was required.

mmgemini

how about cam straps? http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004ODP8YC/ref=asc_df_B004ODP8YC11113239?smid=A1EJNN7CY5N1PK&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B004ODP8YC

not connected to these just the first site google came up with

i use them for light loads on the works pick up and vans, Holding cement mixers, barrows, mowers, ladders, all sorts of stuff.

Mark

mmgemini

how about cam straps? http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B004ODP8YC

not connected to these just the first site google came up with

i use them for light loads on the works pick up and vans, Holding cement mixers, barrows, mowers, ladders, all sorts of stuff.

Mark

I had some of those. I don't like them....Sorry.....

You could just use rope and a truckers hitch to apply tension. Nothing to wear out other than the rope so ideal for the middle of nowhere.

EDIT: I imagine you know exactly how to tie one but for anyone else having a look this is what I mean

from http://www.animatedk...ckers/index.php

Thats awful complicated, and certainly not what my lorry-driving friend uses! I'll see if I can get him to do a demonstration, trust me it ain't that complicated!

There are a number of ways to make the top loop and once that is tied it doesn't need to be undone in Mikes application. The bit that is repeatedly undone is simplez :) I use the butterfly knot for the top loop which is easily tied just by wrapping the rope around your hand three times.

Although this video makes it look more complex

Thats awful complicated, and certainly not what my lorry-driving friend uses! I'll see if I can get him to do a demonstration, trust me it ain't that complicated!

That is complicated.

Not like i was shown by a driver from Red House back in the 70's or by an ex partriot farmer from Staffordshire in the 90's, nice and simples.

Mike there are some cool things in this months Leo that might be worth a look, nite ize camjam cord tighteners.

Dollying rope is ok and has its place ie tying straw and hay etc but I do like small ratchet straps but proper ones with metal hooks from the likes of theratchetshop.co.uk rather than thos cheap little ones with plasticy hooks.