Rivnut Setting Tool

need4speed

Have a read of my thread here...

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=80068

The one you're shewing is ten times less than the plier tool I'm using at present. I've snapped the through bolt on my Riv-Nut pliers....

Completely useless if you think of stainless steel Riv-Nuts....

I'd prefere to use the screw and nut method for the odd one.

Those rivnut pliers are ok for use with aluminium only up to m8, no larger....but to use them at all you have to do some welding on the tool, even with just occasional use.

Simply, they are just not strong enough and the tops bend outwards as you apply force. If you look at the top of the tool you will see the center shaft and the 2 round bits that act against the center, they are only held against the shaft by the sides of the tool and they will slip after a few uses.

You can get around the issue by just welding a piece of metal over the top of the tool to hold the 2 sides together.....or put a G clamp round it to hold it together!

They are ok[ish] for occasional use and are useful for use in tight spaces, I have one similar to this which is much stronger and easier to use but not so good where space is tight.

I've been using the same type as you HOG and they are great as you say apart from where space is tight. Can easily rip the threads out of the M6 aluminium rivnuts if you aren't paying attention though!

Look good but BIG difference in price. £85 for 6 or so rivnuts is a bit rich for me..

The pliers I have cost me 50 quid some years ago, that was a discounted price.

If you're only doing a few, why buy the pliers ? The nut and screw method should suffice

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so went ahead and bought the rivnut tool i lnked to in my original post. Wish i hadnt bothered.

Trying to insert M8 rivnuts (RRC8666) that hold heater onto bulkhead. Not a hope in hell of doing them! Even with my ham-like hands. Glad i tried a tester before attacking the bulkhead. That would have been a disaster!

So does anyone have a more manly rivnut tool i could borrow for a short period of time?

Phil

Ok, so went ahead and bought the rivnut tool i lnked to in my original post. Wish i hadnt bothered.

Trying to insert M8 rivnuts (RRC8666) that hold heater onto bulkhead. Not a hope in hell of doing them! Even with my ham-like hands. Glad i tried a tester before attacking the bulkhead. That would have been a disaster!

So does anyone have a more manly rivnut tool i could borrow for a short period of time?

Phil

The Memfast one will cope with M8, has option of M10, but I haven't tried that. It uses standard cap head Allen bolts, so worse case you strip the thread, they are easy to replace.

Cheers

Steve

Steve,

My Memfast tool has 6mm square drive with the male section on the fastener driver. My M10 one sheared and they seem to be difficult to get - out if stock for ages. It is a good setup for the smaller, softer materials though.

Donald