Advice on engine change and DVLA

About a year ago I changed the engine in my 1990 Defender from a 19J to a 200Tdi. The engine I fitted in my 110 came from a 90. I informed DVLA and in a relatively short period of time, received an updated V5.

My son had just done a similar activity in his 90, but as well as an engine change (19J to Defender 200Tdi). His engine came from a 110 and went into a 90. He's also gone from a pick up body to a County station wagon body.

However, he's just received a letter fro DVLA wanting, in support of the change, either:

A receipt for the engine on headed paper from a garage (that won't happen, we bought it from a car being scrapped by a neighbour!)

An inspection report from the AA or RAC (cost issues!)

An inspection report provided for insurance issues (as it was a Defender engine into a defender, NFU didn't need any additional paperwork)

or

Written confirmation from the manufacturer showing the engine number and size.

Now the latter looks most possible, do they (LR/Tata) do this sort of thing and who should I contact for this information?

Happy Christmas all

Cheers

Peter

When I sent my V5 to the DVLA to change the engine after the previous owner didn't bother I had a letter back asking for written proof, I was all ready to go to a local garage to sort out the proof when the V5 turned up all changed, so I never bothered going to the garage then.

I think it all in the luck of the draw with the DVLA

Speak to the MoT man. I had the same with the Series 2, I asked my MoT man about it, and he said he'd change it from 2286 to 2495 on the system, and the garage would give me a letter to send of to DVLA to say that it was all safely installed and this that and the other.

My thoughts on the issue. First off you need to understand the working of a large Beaurocracy like the DVLA. I am guessing there will be hundreds of people dealing with these V%C changes and they will be given some discretionary powers, hence why some have issues and others don't. Imagine your application lands on the desk of a young lad with an interest in motors and he will find nothing unusual in the changing of an engine in a Landrover and authorise the change. You could just as easily get a 60 year old lady though who will have to follow the book. I can see them there at their desk with a check list.

Has the applicant provided the following information

1. details of the engine that has been removed

2. details of the new engine being fitted including its' origins

3 evidence that the engine has been fitted to an approriate standard.

If so issue new V5c, other wise send out Form XYZ requesting further information.....

The trick is giving them just enough information. If you can do so on headed paper then so much the better......

So when sending in the application also send a covering letter something like this

Please could you chenge the engine details on the attached V5c. The original engine (Give type and number as written on the current V5c) has been replaced with another Landrover engine (give type and number) removed from vehicle (give details of doner)/bought from (give details of salvage company/engineering company etc). The engine has been replaced as part of ongoing maintenance of the original vehicle and was carried out to full industry standards in our workshops/in Joe Bloggs Garage/by trained mechanics.....

Use your imagination but all you are doing is giving them reason to tick their little boxes and to save them the work of taking it any further.

Hope this helps someone.

My mate had a similar letter a while back.

A mutual friend who helped with the conversion made a headed letter/bill on 'word' and that was sent in. No issues at all.

Was all totally legal,My mate only did the one engine conversion and folded the sole trader company one day after forming it due to other work commitments.......................................

I too had the same letter despite sending in a whole dossier with the V5 request.

Turns out the letter had a direct dial phone no of the lady at DVLA dealing with my case.

Called her up - and it went straight through. I explained everything slowly and politely and a few days later the new V5 arrived as asked.

I tried to correct the body type on my V5 (110 CSW) DVLA replied stating that all pre 1998 Defenders can only be described as 'light 4x4 utility' including 'estates' Also my engine No is 'not known'! I gave up!

that's rubbish, my 110 is a 1989 model & it has Estate as the body type on it's V5.

that's rubbish, my 110 is a 1989 model & it has Estate as the body type on it's V5.

Not rubbish anymore Ralph, after the whole LEZ thing they will no longer change body types to estate on pre TD5 Defenders.

EDIT: Not all station wagons were originally registered as estates

I too had the same letter despite sending in a whole dossier with the V5 request.

Turns out the letter had a direct dial phone no of the lady at DVLA dealing with my case.

Called her up - and it went straight through. I explained everything slowly and politely and a few days later the new V5 arrived as asked.

I had the same issue and called the DVLA up; I found them very helpful and very proffesional. All sorted.