Tyre compressor

TheBeastie

Things happen in threes (hopefully not more!!)

My tyre compressor (TMax) seems to keep blowing fuses as soon as it starts to inflate - runs ok if no load.

Does this suggest the thing is pooped and I get a new one or is there something I could try and fix?

Thanks

Malcolm

I seem to remember reading something in the manual about this. It was something along the lines that you should avoid starting the compressor under load otherwise it may blow fuses, so I guess this means connect the inflator to tire first, then start the compressor, then connect the compressor to the inflator? I'm guessing this means the inflator has a one way valve on it.

OK and thanks - will try starting and running then connecting hose. Suspect it is probably as CwazuWabbit suggests since remember re-inflating a set of tyres I had let down off road one time and think this was last time it was used. Hey Ho. One lives and learns but maybe I will be lucky this time!

A guy on another forum had one rigged up for OBA, said it lasted all of a few months before it packed up, and it was fitted with the drop valve to dump pressure in the system when it stopped, as to negate load when starting again.

Most portable compressors don't seem to like extended periods of use, just an occasional top up or blowing up an air bed when camping.

As a follow up I was running the compressor off my spare RAYNET battery. I had replaced the fuse in the +ve line but on trying the battery with my radio this evening it has also clearly blown the fuse in the -ve line as well.

Methinks time for a new compressor.

I had thought the one I got was reasonable but clearly it is just a toy. Any recommendations for a new one for reasonable 4x4 use - so topping up tyres after off road etc. Happy to pay for a good one but prefer to avoid the ones that look like they have gold plated tanks :o

The Beastie,

I think you (as in "you in UK") suffer from the same as we (as in Canada) do: CCC = cheap chinese carp. And it's no use buying expensive Chinese carp. It's still carp!!! Whenever possible I happily pay the premium price for something made anywhere other than China, even elsewhere in Asia, and preferably in Europe, Japan or the Americas. Until we regularly reject sub-quality items, we're going to be paying dearly for "cheap" bargains. Many years ago Japan produced many cheap knock-offs, but it has learnt that quality counts, and I now have no reservations about buying tools or components genuinely manufactured in Japan

Please, don't look for the "cheapest" bargain, because it will possibly be the most expensive. And we've brought it on ourselves!

Mike