Seen a couple of these vids now

Nigelw

Seen a couple of these vids now of peeps fitting a Cummins 6BT in their Defenders.

Anyone got an idea as to why? Not my first choice I must admit!!!

6 liter straight 6 Tdi must eat gearboxes and half shafts!!! I know my RRC with the 6.2 V8 diesel did....

the joys of choosing a username when ya not even a teenager... wish i could change it to NRS91 like all my other accounts haha

but yea that 90 is mine full collection of all the vids here:

and well 35mpg, 200-300hp and 500+ lb/ft of torque is the reason why... plus it sounds awesome!

the GMC V8d is a gutless weak paperweight compared to the cummins... ive known people with new crate motors at 220hp have the blocks crack in under 50k miles and they struggled for 20mpg with one...

Cummins is a touch of a heavy treader but theres nothing like it for drivability... can leave it in 5th right the way down to 30mph or so and just tweak the throttle and in a cloud of smoke and a roar of thunder your up to 70mph and gone!

Best mod i have ever done to my truck tbh...

as for the drive train you run the DAF45 engine and gearbox (air assist clutch is lovely in traffic) to a 1:1.003 LT230 transfer box and then to your axles... now my rear axle was fubared when i fitted the Cummins so i brought a set of 2nd hand uprated jobbies with lockers etc off ebay and they handle the power fine... better than the stock truck clutch is anyway (mines a fair way from the standard 130hp) you just dont do owt silly with them and roll the power on... as with a 5.9l truck engine and 37" tyres shock loading is what will kill um

After going for a blast in Nick's Cummins powered 90, I myself am half way through fitting my 110 with one :D

I have never been in a truck with such large tyres that has thrown you into the back of your seat and put such a big grin on your face like his :D

AWESOMEEEE :D

After going for a blast in Nick's Cummins powered 90, I myself am half way through fitting my 110 with one :D

I have never been in a truck with such large tyres that has thrown you into the back of your seat and put such a big grin on your face like his :D

AWESOMEEEE :D

ah Mr Witty welcome... cant wait for yours to be done... well have to go Cummins Cruising with Tom! and if yours reaches the spec your aiming for then it will be huge!

I've done the honours :i-m_so_happy:

There are three Admins on here, Trev, Nige and myself ;-)

ah brilliant! that saves me having to to remember this ones different... and much more sensible user name haha

is it a case of mention admin and they will appear here? lol

I was going to dowel my plates but, the holes were ever so slightly out of centre, my plan now is to drill the holes .5mm bigger and use a finger clock/dti to ensure everything is running true before torquing down then re-checking the centralisation.

Is there a crack in the housing in your last pic?

Very, very cool though!

thats a scrap gearbox i brought for £50 so i could re do the bracketry without having to drop the main box out... just dropped the LT230 and the spud shaft

Interesting how small the daf 45 box looks alongside the lt230.

How many miles have you done on the setup?

probably over 500... cant remember now haha

Thanks for the pics.

Is there any chance you could measure your total driveline length, from the front crank pulley to the rear prop mounting flange?

will go have a crawl under her when i get back home but if it helps for now the pulley is an inch off the xmember at the front and the lt230 is 5 inches further back lol

As a convertion goes how easy is it and would it all fit in a Disco?

disco wouldnt have the rear prop issues ive had... but duno about engine width or if the 19" diameter flywheel housing would fit though.... i used all the standard mounts and holes and it seems to work well... but going to upgrade to HD mounting rubbers in the future

Your dad said you'd managed to shoehorn the cummins in! How have you got on with the axles? did you ever have standard ones on?

Happy Christmas and new year by the way!

Mike

Mike i think my dads told most people haha if not theyve heard it and asked. i ran standard ones for a while... worked well tbh as i rolled on the power... but ive had a bigger turbo and injectors since and the rear diff was shot when i put the engine in... so i got some 2nd hand tricked up axles off ebay... ARB Lockers, KAM 4.1:1 RnP (meaning i HAD to buy 37" tyres of course ;) ), maxidrive shafts and HD drive flanges... though std CVs :/ which was a downfall especially as i didnt upgrade the track bar... DOH

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to you all!

Am so happy I pressed the right buttons with that one!!

Now I am inclined to agree the GMC motor was not as good as it could have been but it was a lot better than the knackered 3.5 we took out, that thing ate rear shafts at the sight of anything that might require the loud pedal pressing hard!!!

I am not knocking your work by no means so please don't think I am but there is so little info about the possibilities for conversions I wanted to know a lot more about it ang google searching seems a very hit and miss hobby!!!

Thanks for sharing your conversion, when I have time this evening I will look through your vids as I am still under water in the barn and can't get on with my own truck.

no cable ties required ..its big enough to create its own gravity field - the bits just get drawn on to the engine :P

It would be interesting to know the overall length from the front of the crank to the back of the hand brake drum ...

I doubt it would fit in a Disco as the engine is further forward to clear the bulkhead . I've seen a Bedford 330ci diesel in a 109 before , but quite a lot of it was in the cab!

'tis an interesting conversion for sure

cheers

Steveb