Seen a couple of these vids now

Nigelw

Or an Isuzu 4bd1t nearly identical dimensions and capacity. But soother and more potential.

How much different are thes in respective to the 3.1? I ran a 3.1 Trooper Duty spec,loads of power on tap when you needed it and economical too!! regular 30mpg and I was never shy with the throttle....

You considering one DD?

How much different are thes in respective to the 3.1? I ran a 3.1 Trooper Duty spec,loads of power on tap when you needed it and economical too!! regular 30mpg and I was never shy with the throttle....

You considering one DD?

I've got one :-)

The 4bd1t is a totally different engine family to the 4jg2t (3.1).

They are Much bigger, closer to the dimensions of a 300tdi, just a little heavier.

Gear driven cam, injection pump and power steering pump. Cross flow direct injection head.

And they were designed with an exhaust brake so they are spec'd to take 40psi of back pressure in the exhaust manifold and safe egt's of 1200°c

I've got one :-)

The 4bd1t is a totally different engine family to the 4jg2t (3.1).

They are Much bigger, closer to the dimensions of a 300tdi, just a little heavier.

Gear driven cam, injection pump and power steering pump. Cross flow direct injection head.

And they were designed with an exhaust brake so they are spec'd to take 40psi of back pressure in the exhaust manifold and safe egt's of 1200°c

OMG with the dimensions being so similar then this would be a better choice of engine for Disco RRC owners then? Power wise it is on par with the 300Tdi with 111HP but I can't help thinking that there are distinct gains to be had from the cross flowed head and injection type!!! Dry weight of 360Kgs is not to be taken lightly(pun not intended) an all in weight would see it breach the 400Kgs mark surely?

EGTs reaching 1200C would only worry me if the mods needed to fit an exhaust saw it run a bit close to the body but exhaust wrap would take care of that if needs be.

How did you get on with your build? I have not seen a build thread so am not sure how smoothly it didn't go :ph34r:

I'm not 100% on this but I think Cummins and Izuzu worked together in the designing of the "B" series engines, From what I've read it's more the delivery trucks rather than the 4x4's engines that are similar. It's the 4BT and 4BD1T are 3.9L capacity. And there will be plenty of tuning parts in the USA just as for the 6BT :)

Dry weight of 360Kgs is not to be taken lightly(pun not intended) an all in weight would see it breach the 400Kgs mark surely?

How did you get on with your build? I have not seen a build thread so am not sure how smoothly it didn't go

I've read on the Australian forums they are 350kg fully dressed, a 300tdi is only just under 300kg

I not fitted mine yet, I don't see any real problems though.

I'm not 100% on this but I think Cummins and Izuzu worked together in the designing of the "B" series engines, From what I've read it's more the delivery trucks rather than the 4x4's engines that are similar. It's the 4BT and 4BD1T are 3.9L capacity. And there will be plenty of tuning parts in the USA just as for the 6BT
The 4bt Cummins and the 4bd1t are totally different engines, the Cummins is heavier, slightly noisier, more torque as standard and about 11 inches taller. They only share a similar capacity because they were both designed to fill the same place in the marketplace.

Both Perkins and Mitsubishi also make 3.9l Turbo 4cyl's as well

My interest in alternative engines has come from thoughts of a new project vehicle in time to come, I am going to keep the 200Tdi Disco as standard as possible to negate issues with the MOT here but as there are similar SVA type rules here I fully intend to build a one off special to keep my wallet empty and my hands busy in the winter LOL

I have always been a petrol head and would kill for a brand new THL X bolted 4.6 THOR but realistically it won't happen as they are rare as rocking horse poo over here and even then by the time I have faffed around getting it here from the UK with exchange rates etc, I could have bought a S/H cummins/perkins/isuzu engine and had mating it up to drive train professionally done!!!

But what of the 2.8 liter lump from Iveco the same as fitted in the santana? Any good or pile of doggy doo?

The 2.8 iveco lump would be a very good choice, most of the ones I've seen are still on a Bosch ve , and they are really compact.

Best of all they are cheap, my local commercial breaker does complete engines and boxes for £750.

I'm pretty sure the iveco combo would be short enough to mount in the 300tdi defender position with a divorced lt230 in the 200tdi position with a short center prop between them.

Am so happy I pressed the right buttons with that one!!

Now I am inclined to agree the GMC motor was not as good as it could have been but it was a lot better than the knackered 3.5 we took out, that thing ate rear shafts at the sight of anything that might require the loud pedal pressing hard!!!

I am not knocking your work by no means so please don't think I am but there is so little info about the possibilities for conversions I wanted to know a lot more about it ang google searching seems a very hit and miss hobby!!!

Thanks for sharing your conversion, when I have time this evening I will look through your vids as I am still under water in the barn and can't get on with my own truck.

if you google "doing the impossible cummins NRS91" and youl find my full write ups ive done... probs should of done one on here as its a techy forum lol

A landy with one of these engines must fly and with a great sound.

they sure do mate! never fails to make me smile!

no cable ties required ..its big enough to create its own gravity field - the bits just get drawn on to the engine :P

It would be interesting to know the overall length from the front of the crank to the back of the hand brake drum ...

I doubt it would fit in a Disco as the engine is further forward to clear the bulkhead .

haha they are a fair weight... IIRC its 42-44" between pulley and end of the flywheel housing, which is 19" diameter, and the engine and box come to 63" long.