Split charging 24v-12v

cactus

How about these?

There are cheaper ways depending on the exact job you have in mind, e.g.If you just want to run a stereo, gps etc in your 24v truck, then (as vulcan suggested) a smaller converter would suffice, and not need an additional battery.

As I said I can't run another alternator so that's out!

I am aware of the 24-12 Droppers and have used them for low current supply.

What I need is to charge a 12v battery, from the 24v system, whilst the engine is running.

I have looked at DC-DC Converters but, are they "Clever enough" to regulate their output current/voltage

to the needs of the 12v battery?

How about these?

I have used these extensively for charging 12v leisure batteries in horseboxes and the like, and they have proved very reliable. They do have a current limit for charging batteries along with themal protection.

If you plan to run a single 12v battery it's probably not worth getting one in excess of 20A or so, since the battery would not charge at any more than this after the first few minutes anyway. Unless you want to run your loads too of course.

I have looked at DC-DC Converters but, are they "Clever enough" to regulate their output current/voltage to the needs of the 12v battery?

I thought the bit that says "Battery Charge Function: Yes" was a bit of a giveaway, but maybe not.... :rtfm: