Megajolt for my aluminium friend

Josh NZ

Hey all,

Happy new year and all that jazz!

So, after getting my landy back on the road with its fresh engine, I find myself looking toward the future as to what I will do next. I'm interested in Megajolting the 2.25, it seems a very good setup.

I'm interested for a couple of reasons. One is that it's not been done very much in my country before so it's different and I like that. The second is that I would like to be able to tune it accurately etc and I want to do away with the dizzy+points and condenser etc.

I looked at a kit on triggerwheels.com, but are there any pitfalls to look out for? I really have no idea what to look out for but I love a good challenge, and am keen to tackle anything!

Which ECU type etc would be great as I really don't know what will suit me best simply because I don't know much about it! I use the landy mostly as a weekend driver when the sun (and all the other classics) come out, and as the offroader. Once the engine is a bit more proven I may use it more on the day to day commute.

Cheers guys, I know you love a good "what's the pros/cons yarn" :D

Megajolt will be very good on your engine

You need a EDIS 4 unit and Pigtail Plug / wire

A Trigger Wheel - this may be a tad more difficult you need one with the right OD / ID that will be able to fit your Pulley

Some EDIS coil pack ends and a EDIS 4 Coil and Plug

But

You'll be stunned at the difference

The ONLY con is with Megajolt thats it, you can't go fuelling as well, as you can with Megasquirt

but as you have carbs I am guessing thats not a plan so not an issue, if so then go for it

you will love it !

Nige

PS Ths would be better IMHO in the megasquirt / Megajolt forum so have moved it - moan if you wnat it moved back to Series :D ?

Nige

Hi all

I megajolted my 2.25 petrol 2A probably 3 years ago now. one of the best things i have every done to it!

rock steady timing, ultimate reliability(so far) , instant starting , waterproof no need to worry about water,

improved fuel economy.

do it you wont regret it

Hi all

I megajolted my 2.25 petrol 2A probably 3 years ago now. one of the best things i have every done to it!

rock steady timing, ultimate reliability(so far) , instant starting , waterproof no need to worry about water,

improved fuel economy.

do it you wont regret it

I actually thought just as I posted that it might be better in MS/MJ forum so no worries nige!

I wondered about the trigger wheel.. Which pulley on the motor will be best for that? And im guessing it's not as simple as the 36-1 universal wheel or whatever it is?

The triggerwheels.com kit- it looks to be what I'm looking for. Is it good value for money or am I better looking for individual components? I'm also hoping desperately that they ship as far as NZ!

Sorry for all the questions guys :D

it was a universal trigger wheel i bought 36-1 the od was larger than my crank pulley the id was slightly less.

machined the crank pulley until the trigger wheel was a press fit. timed it up and then welded it all together.

Jeez nige, that's a shocker!

I agree though. I'm on mine currently and it's driving me up the wall!

Interested that the crank pulley needs to be machined down.. Presuming its so that the wheel slips onto the pulley. I'd say that (and welding it on) will be an outsourced job.

Do I want throttle position sensor ECU or manifold air pressure ECU? I was leaning towards the TPS but really I have no clue :D

"How much effort is it to fit a Megajolt? Seems there is some mapping, accordong to their website, whats involved there? We have a 1975 S3"

I have ABSOLUTELY no experience with vehicle tuning/electronics and I feel fine attacking the challenge. There's plenty of help here in this forum with nige and others who have done it before, as well as this website http://otly.church-walk.com/Megajolt/page1.html. You can even download Preset maps as well.

It's all down to confidence in your ability, or your willingness to research and learn if not sure!

trigger-wheels.com are pretty pricey, there is/was someone on here who was selling MegaJolts (Nige, who was it?), they're quite simple to install. If you think you might go to fuel injection later (and it's not that hard to do using a TBI unit or just drilling the inlet manifold for injectors) then go for a Megasquirt as it can do one or the other or both (fuel + ignition).

Mapping is not a big issue, if you know the specs of the distributor (and I'm guessing the Lucas dizzy is fairly well documented as it's been around forever) you can work out a starting point in an Excel spreadsheet based on the springs/weights (RPM advance) and vacuum advance. From there you can then fine-tune / tweak as desired, but just by doing away with the clockwork you'll see an improvement as Philbert says.

Trigger wheels are not rocket surgery either - they need to be ferrous metal as the VR sensor is magnetic, and have the right number of teeth for the system at hand (default is 36-1), and mounted to the crank somewhere - front pulley is the usual, car manufacturers machine bumps into the flywheel these days.

Try copying and pasting this link, it should answer all your questions http://www.google.com.bo/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CC0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Follr.createaforum.com%2Ftechnical-archive%2Fkwd%2527s-megajolt-ignition%2F&ei=71fkUOHAAorV0gHrj4GoDA&usg=AFQjCNFS20sb5PrxnKdrzvbPagjc81GDWw&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.dmQ&cad=rja

Cheers,

Del

PS - I have just Megajolted my V8 with a kit from Triggerwheels and it does everything it says on the box!!

Try copying and pasting this link, it should answer all your questions http://www.google.com.bo/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CC0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Follr.createaforum.com%2Ftechnical-archive%2Fkwd%2527s-megajolt-ignition%2F&ei=71fkUOHAAorV0gHrj4GoDA&usg=AFQjCNFS20sb5PrxnKdrzvbPagjc81GDWw&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.dmQ&cad=rja

Cheers,

Del

PS - I have just Megajolted my V8 with a kit from Triggerwheels and it does everything it says on the box!!

Yup - megajolt is easy and pretty cheap. I ran megajolt on the V8 in my series with carbs and it made soooo much difference.

I now run it on my VW beach buggy, so it possible to fit it to any engine. Mapping is easy as the timing specs are well documented in the various manuals and as fridge says you can work the rest out easily.

Well worth it in my opinion.

Jon