Leaky Windscreen

mahon257

Last week, I was "lucky" enough to have a chip in the windscreen - which meant I had an opportunity to get a new one fitted via the trusty car insurance. Whilst the winscreen was being fitted the nice man at the glass fitting company asked me for consent on wether or not he should / could remove the windscreen due to a large amount of rust on the surrounding steel frame (at the top of the windscreen).

Anyway, long story short, they kindly removed the glass and fitted a perspex shaped windscreen - so I could get the car home, and tackle the rust.

Few pics attached...

I had known for some years (at least 4) that the disco had a leak somewhere - but was surprised to find out actually where the leak is (was). The attached pic "leak_location.jpg" shows the now repaired location where I found pin-holes in the metal. It's the vertical lip on the frame, nothing to do with the bit that the glass is actually bonded to...

Repaired it as follows: Wire brushed back to bare metal, then Loctite Rust treatment, etch primer, Seam sealant, more etch primer, then 7 coats of Acryllic paint + clear laquer.

Hopefully, that's another job done!

post-7658-0-78710800-1357063251_thumb.jpg

post-7658-0-15781800-1357063254_thumb.jpg

post-7658-0-21046000-1357063258_thumb.jpg

post-7658-0-14118100-1357063260_thumb.jpg

post-7658-0-15037800-1357063264_thumb.jpg

Just a heads up. I had my screen replaced 3 times . Originally it was leaking but also chipped so managed to persuade insurance company to fit new one. I had no rust in the frame. The first screen leaked bad so they came and fitted another. This one was so out of shape he could not get it to even remotely seal. He left it in while they ordered a genuine one, needless to say it leaked badly. They then fitted a genuine one but this leaked too. All leaking was always from the same area, ie, the screen top above the steering wheel area. When the last one leaked I didn't bother going through the windscreen company as I had had a guts full. I had a good look up behind the sun visor and it was absolutely clear that the bead of sealant used in this location just wasn't deep enough to seal it, there were several places where there was a gap between it and the glass. I got a long nozzle and squeezed some glazing silicon up along the seam and never had a problem afterwards.

So when the new screen is fitted get them to increase the hieght of the sealant bead along the top (not thicker but taller)

Just a heads up. I had my screen replaced 3 times . Originally it was leaking but also chipped so managed to persuade insurance company to fit new one. I had no rust in the frame. The first screen leaked bad so they came and fitted another. This one was so out of shape he could not get it to even remotely seal. He left it in while they ordered a genuine one, needless to say it leaked badly. They then fitted a genuine one but this leaked too. All leaking was always from the same area, ie, the screen top above the steering wheel area. When the last one leaked I didn't bother going through the windscreen company as I had had a guts full. I had a good look up behind the sun visor and it was absolutely clear that the bead of sealant used in this location just wasn't deep enough to seal it, there were several places where there was a gap between it and the glass. I got a long nozzle and squeezed some glazing silicon up along the seam and never had a problem afterwards.

So when the new screen is fitted get them to increase the hieght of the sealant bead along the top (not thicker but taller)

Great timing... they're coming tomorrow to fit the new screen... I'll keep my "beady" eye on them! (sorry about that).

Thanks v.much for the info...

Cheers

Nick