2000 D2 tdi Immobilizer Starting Problem

uknunn

OK. I've left my 2000 W Reg 2.5 Turbo Diesel Discovery parked outside my parents house while I travel over here in America for 6 months.

Only 2 months after being away my mother decided to roll the wheels, which she did every couple of weeks to keeps the engine and battery happy. She presses the unlock button on the remote and it doesn't unlock the Discovery. She thinks the battery has gone on it and so uses the key, unlocks the door....opens the door and the alarm goes off. She puts the key in the ignition (as the alarm is sounding) to start the Disco and it does start and the alarm stops. She lets it run for 5 minutes, turns it off and locks it using the (now working) remote. The next day the remote works fine buy the Discovery wont start. It does turn over with no lights on the dash. She's tried numerous times but it wont start. Brand new battery.

Have I tripped the Immobilizer? Does it need re-programming? Fuel pump gone? Anyway, it's now been sitting there for a month and they can't move it. Advice would be very helpful......as right now I'm on the other side of the world!

Thanks in advance.

OK. I've left my 2000 W Reg 2.5 Turbo Diesel Discovery parked outside my parents house while I travel over here in America for 6 months.

Only 2 months after being away my mother decided to roll the wheels, which she did every couple of weeks to keeps the engine and battery happy. She presses the unlock button on the remote and it doesn't unlock the Discovery. She thinks the battery has gone on it and so uses the key, unlocks the door....opens the door and the alarm goes off. She puts the key in the ignition (as the alarm is sounding) to start the Disco and it does start and the alarm stops. She lets it run for 5 minutes, turns it off and locks it using the (now working) remote. The next day the remote works fine buy the Discovery wont start. It does turn over with no lights on the dash. She's tried numerous times but it wont start. Brand new battery.

Have I tripped the Immobilizer? Does it need re-programming? Fuel pump gone? Anyway, it's now been sitting there for a month and they can't move it. Advice would be very helpful......as right now I'm on the other side of the world!

Thanks in advance.

I've just been through lots of pain with a similar issue. I realise your truck is newer than my 1996 300tdi... but I have learned that the immobilzer controls both the starter motor and Fuel Pump Cut-off solenoid valve(diesel). SO... If it's turning over on the starter motor, it's probably not the immobilizer.

For me.. the cause was the DDS (the electronics on the Bosch diesel pump with 3 wires going in - which is an anti-theft device). My truck is left standing for weeks at a time - as it's a toy for me - not my main car... I tapped the DDS with a hammer to get mine going... though I wouldn't recommend this to anyone else - especially if it's your main vehicle (i.e. at your risk).

I find it strange that the alarm went off, and she was able to start it on the key. With mine, unless I blip the remote, it will not start. I bet some water's got in the BCU if I had to guess, that is, I'm assuming due to age you're talking about a TD5 D2, not a 300-TDI Lump?

Yea, it's a Discovery 2 TD5. I'm over here in California and so it just may have to sit there on the street for the next 3 months!! Unless it's something simple I can get my parents to do. It's just weird that it started while the alarm was going off, but now wont start. So annoying because I suspect that it's something simple!

"Roll the wheels"? But how far? you need do a few miles to replace the current drained on starting, so one day even what was a fully charged battery won't be able to turn the engine over.

If your engine was immobilised you wouldn't be able to crank the engine also your D2 security system goes to sleep after a couple of days that's why the fob didn't work, unlocking and relocking with the key wakes the system up.

All this as it's in the owner’s handbook which is on the www if you don't have one.

i hope you get your problem sorted but i can sympathise as mine done something similar this morning its a 2002 td5. Ive been driving it daily no probs then this morning gone out and it wouldnt open with the key button, so i opened it at the door with the key and it all opened up no probs, then i opened the door and the alarm goes off so i put the key in the ignition and all the lights come on butwouldnt start and the alarm is still blaring.i went and changed the battery in the key but that made no difference at all so im stumped just going to find a selection of hammers to (smash) fix it.

Hopefully an adult will be along soon and cure our problem!!!! :huh:

i hope you get your problem sorted but i can sympathise as mine done something similar this morning its a 2002 td5. Ive been driving it daily no probs then this morning gone out and it wouldnt open with the key button, so i opened it at the door with the key and it all opened up no probs, then i opened the door and the alarm goes off so i put the key in the ignition and all the lights come on butwouldnt start and the alarm is still blaring.i went and changed the battery in the key but that made no difference at all so im stumped just going to find a selection of hammers to (smash) fix it.

Hopefully an adult will be along soon and cure our problem!!!! :huh:

Yea, it's a Discovery 2 TD5. I'm over here in California and so it just may have to sit there on the street for the next 3 months!! Unless it's something simple I can get my parents to do. It's just weird that it started while the alarm was going off, but now wont start. So annoying because I suspect that it's something simple!
Totally different system between D1/D2. No common parts or ideas at all.

Cyber, yours sounds like the "friendly passive" function is broken so it doesn't disarm automatically.

Possibly, but it used to work until I changed the receiver unit in the headlining. I think the later ones are harsher on what you can do...

A TD5 in california? How the F*ck did you manage that! IIRC they only ever sold the V8's over there - something to do with the sulphur content in the diesel I'm told...

The TD5 is in Norwich, England (pronounced Narwich) and I'm stuck over here in California. The Disco is stuck outside the parents till I get back. If I could bring a diesel here I would be soooo happy because I do love the milage and it's the best to tow with. Sadly, a V8 Discovery doesn't tempt me. My Ford F150 V8 here has been good to me for eight years and so it's going no-where, although it does drink petrol like a teenage English girl drinks Cider!!!

I have had my td5 refuse to start occasionaly in much the same way and for no apparent reason. My cure to date has been to exit the vehicle and lock it with the fob. Wait a few minutes and then unlock it with fob. To date this has resolved the problem. It migh be worth a try.

I have had my td5 refuse to start occasionaly in much the same way and for no apparent reason. My cure to date has been to exit the vehicle and lock it with the fob. Wait a few minutes and then unlock it with fob. To date this has resolved the problem. It migh be worth a try.