Should i degrease galved bulkhead

Ok so earlier this year i got my bulkhead galved and since have applied fatmatt to the inner side but was wondering if i should degrease the outer side before applying cool-it thermo tec or do you think i should just apply it straight to the galv like i done with the inner side?

If you were to degrease it what would you use?

Any oil on the surface is likely to reduce the bonding of whatever you apply to it so I would degrease it. I would use Panel Wipe which you should be able to get from motor factor or paint supplier - normally comes in 5l container - it's really good stuff to have around - if you plug the magic words into bay of e you can get 5l delivered for less than £20 1l ~ £10. My second choice would be brake cleaner which is dead easy to source from Hallfords.

For new galvanised surfaces you need mordant T wash.
The galvanising process seems to be impregnated with a greasy deposit.
Panel wipe wont cut in to it.

Ive just had new galvanised parts from YRM that I wanted painted.
I needed to treat it with T wash before the primer and paint would stick to it.
I should imagine to get anything to stick to it properly you will need to treat it.
But it does darken the finish.

Gordon

Painting galvanise, aluminium alloys or GRP will require an etch primer to give the paint a good key. I don't believe this is necessary when using adhesives. All my body panels are bonded to the galvanised structure without an etch process.

Not looking at painting it as i want to keep the galved bulkhead look. Just want to insulate the footwells and lower half of the bulkhead abit on the outer side. Will try the panel wipe tommorrow then hopefully get the thermo tec on tommorrow nite. Best get some heat in the garage to help it bond, either that or heat the bulkhead gently with the heat gun to help the adhesion.

I was applying Fatmat to my bulkhead a year or so ago in a cold garage, and I found it was much easier to mould when I warmed the building a bit before application. Did some more outside today actually, in the rear load space of the 90, and I found that it went on fine. But I wasn't stretching it to follow any curves as I was only doing a wheel box. I believe you're supposed to apply it at room temperature, but in any case a roller helps wonders for making sure there are no air gaps between the metal panels and the Fatmat.

With regard to your specific issue, I would imagine that the adhesive will stick to the bare galv without any issue - after all your Fatmat did on the inside. Try a test piece and see.