The End?

ROGUE TROOPER

Today the MOD are showing off/testing the two new vehicals to replace the "Snatch" Landrovers in Afganistan.

The Cougar

cougar1.jpg

http://www.defense-update.com/products/c/cougar.htm

"Since their deployment to Iraq in 2003 the Cougar and Buffalo vehicles employed with explosive ordnance disposal teams and engineers units have taken about 1,000 IED hits without a loss of life" which is good news for our boys.

The Cougar looks to me like a Humber pig!

The Vector

_41925288_vector_203.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5210788.stm

Described as a "very over priced people carrier with bad armour and a jacked up suspension"

What I've heard on the news from military bods is that the snatch LR's were never designed to take the sort of hits that frequently happen out there, so this is not a "loss" for LR as they will still be used for their intended purpose elsewhere.

The LR's were sent out because that was the best thing they had at the time, but now people have died and political harrumphing has taken place so the MOD are under pressure to get something suitable into service ASAP.

What I've heard on the news from military bods is that the snatch LR's were never designed to take the sort of hits that frequently happen out there, so this is not a "loss" for LR as they will still be used for their intended purpose elsewhere.

Except it is a loss for land rover, however unfairly, because of the way the press are reporting it.

In its military role the Land Rover is something of a compromise. It is comparatively light but very manoeuvrable and certainly in desert conditions fairs better than some of the heavier counterparts such as Hummers. The drawback is that it is quite vulnerable and when I served in the Gulf we had two members of our sqn injured when their 110 went over a mine. The best protection available was laying sand bags over the floor!

The Wimic (Weapons Mount Installation Kit) is quite a good version of the Land Rover and quite popular amonst our troops for its ability to pack a decent punch with 7.62 and heavy machine gun mounts. None the less at the end of the day it IS essentially a soft-skinned vehicle and when you have incoming rounds, you want a bit more protection.