8274 Brake question

Mark90

I have stripped the brake on my 8274 down to service it as it was sticking to the extent I couldn't pull the rope off the drum in freespool and the brake was getting warm when powering out.

The brake pads (Gywn Lewis's) had corroded to the brake discs and one of the 4 interfaces was stuck fast. I was just going to put it all back togther with some grease and hope that cured it. But I was thinking that maybe my brake is too tight.

When fitted with Gwyn's brake pads (new when winch was rebuild a couple of months ago) it's quite a snug fit to get the circlip on and while the brake rotates relatively freely there is no end float what so ever on the brake discs/pads. Fitting some old uparted pads (not sure of the origin but are not narrow like the standard ones) I can get a very slight end float of a few thou I would guess. Fitting a set of old standard pads gives me about 1mm end float.

So what is right? Should there be any end float in the discs/pads when the spring has released the brake? Or should it be snug and any end float is a sign of too much wear?

I was wondering if the snug fit keeping the discs/pads in contact was what lead to the corrosion/sticking?

Thoughts please?

Thanks Tony, I did try calling you last night to see what you thought, about 7.30ish, either you where out or you knew it was me calling :ph34r:

Aye Gwyn advised grease when I bought the pads, maybe I should have followed that advice :rolleyes:

Was going to grease and re-assemble last night but thought I'd check first that it wasn't too tight.

Mark, yep I'd deffinatly run with grease as it also stops the ball bearings pinging everywhere when you build the brake and corroding at the first sight of water. I'm personally going to try some of Morris' Waterproof marine grease as I think it'll be ideal given the enviroment its working in.

Remove the brake from the winch and then try to fit the brake outers on to the shaft, eg: the round outer and inner part of the brake.

If these are tight they will effect the brakes effiency. To cure quite simply use some fine paper or rubbing cloth to remove corrosion and then retry :)

We have also found that when building some winches it is favourable to leave out 1 shim and to give some 'float' B)

Hope that helps

Jim :)