Warn wireless driving lights

Hi,

Has anybone fitted a set of Warn wireless driving lights?

They look ideal for me as I don't want to go through the bulkhead with the switching wire.

Any help/ideas greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Rocky

>passing wires through from cab to engine bay is easy.

Not on all (many) cars!

Strikes me as a pretty good idea!

I saw a kit where you fix a photocell on to your headlight and adjust the sensitivity so it only switches on with main beam - which was a good idea for the same reason.

Si

As to passing a switch wire through the bulkhead--where on the puma without drilling?

Anywhere any of the existing wires come through, surely? Or just find a spare wire in the loom for something not fitted to yours and use that, it's only got to energise a relay after all.

Would the frequency make much difference? As to passing a switch wire through the bulkhead--where on the puma without drilling?

rocky

depends what frequency they use, if it was to cause any interference then OFCOM would be interested, to prevent any problems with other services.the lights maybe fine under USA regs, which are different to UK/EU regs.

Would be nice if someone came out with a powerline style (the system for signalling over mains wiring) version for cars, then all you would need to do is connect +12v and Gnd :) And no pesky radio frequencies to worry about (I know that's not too accurate a statement). You could theoretically use that to add all sorts of accessories with hardly any extra wiring.

Probably be a bugger to fault find

I presume the frquency will be printed on the transmitter, if it is I will post it when I receive the lights.

Rocky

Even if it isn't take a picture of the label on the transmitter (and reciever), it will have an approval ID of some description that will most likely help track down the frequency they use.

Barry, I know someone who did exactly that! ;) Used X-10 protocol modules and ran a 'ring main' in 25mm^2 cable round the vehicle. Each thing that needed powering had it's own relay and fuse next to the item - thus if say a headlight stopped working, both would be adjacent to the headlight. To save on cost, 'said person' used multi channel (4 I think) receivers - so one would do say dip, main, side & indicator. The only thing that upset it was running the starter motor - but the transmitter soon updated the appropriate receivers once it had stopped cranking. The best thing was being able to control the whole lot with my car alarm (which was based on a Z8 Microcontroller (which gives an idea of what era this was in)). It could run 'disco' lighting effects on the vehicle lights which looked cool in a geeky kind of way!

Si

Does anyone have a wiring for a defender puma. I have decided to try and get a switch wire through the bulkhead--not looking forward to unscrewing the dash as the heater controls, radio and godknows what else is in there!!

Rocky

I have looked everywhere. I did see a picture of a puma centre dash removed--i'm not going there. Couldn't see the bulkhead either, just more plastic.

It looks like wireless lights or just having the spots go on and off with the main beam. Is it legal to have spots without a switch?

rocky