300tdi what to scrap and what to keep?

gadget

I'll be collecting a 300tdi discovery shortly to take some spares that I need.

I'll be keeping the transfer box and axles if they're in decent condition, and perhaps the front seats if i can see a way of fitting them in my defender... The engine has already been used by its current owner.

I expect that the gearbox, lights, perhaps a few body panels are worth keeping and selling/trading.

I don't want to be hanging on to bits of Discovery for any great length of time. What parts am I best disposing of?

e.g. Chassis don't seem to sell very quickly, so that will be on its way to the scrap man sharpish.

TBH I broke my V8 300Tdi series a few months ago, still got most of it, and wish I had just scrapped the whole thing!! I did keep the doors as I might trash one of mine and the seats and interior but they have gone into my project car to replace the burnt interior that was in it(and because I NEVER liked the blue) so beige it is now.

But wings always sell as do straight front and rear bumpers, I am doing this right now, I have advertised all of the rest (window ECU, heater matrix & blower box, and other stuff) on ebay and buyer collects otherwise tip or scrap, don't hang on to it long as it trips you up in the end by taking up space!!!

TBH I broke my V8 300Tdi series a few months ago, still got most of it, and wish I had just scrapped the whole thing!! I did keep the doors as I might trash one of mine and the seats and interior but they have gone into my project car to replace the burnt interior that was in it(and because I NEVER liked the blue) so beige it is now.

But wings always sell as do straight front and rear bumpers, I am doing this right now, I have advertised all of the rest (window ECU, heater matrix & blower box, and other stuff) on ebay and buyer collects otherwise tip or scrap, don't hang on to it long as it trips you up in the end by taking up space!!!

Did this vehicle have a diesel and a petrol engine?

I'm planning on whipping the body off the chassis and then stripping the chassis, ready for the scrap bloke.

Will this be as simple as cut body mounts. Undo steering coupler. Cut loom and engine bay pipes. Then lift off the body?

Anyone know how many body mounts there are on the Discovery 1?

Engine, gearbox, axles are worth keeping/selling on. Seats if in really good nick. PAS box only worth keeping if it doesnt leak. I'd scrap the rest as having done it myself, the time and hassle involved in removing body panels etc far outweighs what they're actually worth.

Shell and chassis are only worth weighing in for scrap. Anything else unless its in absolutely pristine condition i'd just scrap.

Jon

Body mounts are located....

Front cross member X2

In front of foot wells in bell mouth of transfer tunnel X2

Bottom of "A" pillars X2

Either side of transfer box on the inside of the chassis rails X2

Bottom of "B" pillars X2

(strictly this is not a mounting but the boot floor is connected to the chassis via the seat bealt mounting lugs, can and will hang you up if you are not aware of them)

Rear cross member X2

I cut the inner wings and front panels off first and then removed the rest whole. It is easy enough but if you can get a gas axe and cut the bolts off and makes light work of slicing and dicing a chassis and A BARE body shell too(know you probably would strip it first but I did highlight bare as the interior needs stripped out first, smokes a lot otherwise)

All depends on how badly rusted the body is - some of the chassis mounts may be non existant lol.

Think Dieseldog got most of them - the seat belt bolts to the chassis foiled me (front at the rear of the gbox tunnel, and under the rear boot floor - hand brake cable was the other.

Steve

Don't forget the catalytic convertor is worth about £50 scrap if it still has the exhaust.

GOD I wish you had posted that to him in a PM!!!!!

Luckily I don't have one to worry for but there were several spates a few years back when scrap went off the charts and cars parked on the streets were getting them robbed off them!!!

Thanks for the info on the body mounts, and good call on the hand brake. I'd not considered that.

I've added fuel pipes from the tank to the filler to my list also.

I wouldn't worry too much about the exhaust. It's a diesel so the front pipe is practically worthless to a scrappy as it's only a ceramic honeycomb, no precious metals in there.

GOD I wish you had posted that to him in a PM!!!!!

Luckily I don't have one to worry for but there were several spates a few years back when scrap went off the charts and cars parked on the streets were getting them robbed off them!!!

Catalytic converter crime is apparently the number one police priority around here.

In this case it's not just some public relations gimmick either .... a few months back I had welded a cracked mid box pipe up one evening and was refitting it at the side of the road about 10 ish at night only to have two police officers shine their torches under the car at me asking me to explain what I was up to :)

Catalytic converter crime is apparently the number one police priority around here.

In this case it's not just some public relations gimmick either .... a few months back I had welded a cracked mid box pipe up one evening and was refitting it at the side of the road about 10 ish at night only to have two police officers shine their torches under the car at me asking me to explain what I was up to :)

I said this before when it was happening and I will say it again.

The only way it stops is if a cat is stamped with the vehicle it was fitted to's VIN stamped on it and then there would need to be an administration system with exhaust centres to photocopy the registration docs and identification for disposal and the same for garages and then for scrap yards to do the same monitoring of the incoming cats, or is the value that high that it would be counter productive?

I know for a fact that there are certain schemes going whereby some heavy copper cable is now coded and has to be accounted for by scrap merchants if it comes in for disposal, it is curbing the thefts from newer rail and factory installations as thieves are being prosecuted for possession of stolen goods and that's when the investigations begin!!!