Petrol injector cleaning

mikec

Im sure i read in nige's build thread he had his done. If i remember correctly it is a costly affair.

To be honest I didn't do a search on here I'll have a look, I have found a place that does them for 12.50 per injector, but you can buy a little ultrasonic cleaner for 30 quid, though I'm not sure it's the same thing??

Injector cleaning is not the same as dipping them in the wife's ultrasonic jewellery cleaner (nearly said "ring cleaner" but that's a rather different thing...)

Proper jobs will flow cleaning fluid through them, possibly even replace filters/tips, plus flow-check and whatnot, although that's unlikely to happen for £12.50.

However, for Rover injectors I'd say it's hardly worth it given that you can buy brand new ones for £30 a pop and sets of 8 good used ones for peanuts.

I made myself a rig to do this (because i could) but prob better to send them away. I recommend Mr Injector in the US for bits.

Need to first measure the flow rate & spray pattern - i made a rig with measuring pyrex lab things, and used MS in test mode.

Then i had a heated ultrasonic bath, again using MS to squirt cleaner fluid through. The cleaner fluid can be found in the UK (will dig link put if needed)

Cheers guys, maybe I'll just try them and see? Or maybe itd be best to get the ones of my4.6 manifold because I've an them not too long ago, their green coloured though, but I'm sure I read that the colour didn't mean anything.

Google around and you'll find loads of links on making your own rig- my Dad and I are in the middle of building one with an old mitsubishi plc, an old loom, fuel rail and some measuring cylinders. Plan is to blast redex and what not through old injectors and flow test them after to get an evenly matched set...

Nige- I have piles and piles of injectors, all I need to do is find eight that flow the same and dont leak when closed under working pressure. Pintle caps, filter baskets and o-rings can be had for not much money so I figure its worth a go. I will post results when all done, which may be a while yet.