Who knows anything about pc's

mikec

Im having problems with a laptop, it's running windows, though can't remember off hand which version.

I turn it on and it says something about the hdd, I'll find out for sure what it says, so I click the ok box (there's normally about 8 of these) then it shuts down and restarts, I've tried opening files during this time and it won't do anything, I can probably do a reboot from the rescue disc but could do with getting pics off it first, is there a way of doing it? Hopefully someone on here can help :) as I need to use this to do the megasquirt.

Not sure if it's any use but just tried the ctrl/alt/delete thing to get the usage box up and it' says "task manager has been disabled by your administrator" there's only me used this and I've definitely not done anything about administrator functions.

Can you try booting into safe mode?

As the computer is starting up, before you get the Windows loading screen press F8 and it should give you some startup options. Safe Mode should be one of them.

You might need a few goes to work out when to hit F8, or just keep hitting it just before the Windows loading screen shows.

Can you try booting into safe mode?

As the computer is starting up, before you get the Windows loading screen press F8 and it should give you some startup options. Safe Mode should be one of them.

You might need a few goes to work out when to hit F8, or just keep hitting it just before the Windows loading screen shows.

I think I got into safe mode last time I tried getting it going but wasn't sure what to do when I got there!

I think I got into safe mode last time I tried getting it going but wasn't sure what to do when I got there!

The idea is that in safe mode the malware won't start up, and so the problem won't present itself.

These things can be a bugger to get off the system once they're on. If you can get into Safe Mode then we can try running Spybot S&D which might be able to clean it out.

Ok tried again and it won't let me open in safe mode, I press enter, and it just starts at the beginning again. I've got spybot, if I can ever get to it.

According to that link if I can't sort it I have to remove the hdd and connect it to another computer?

Yes, that would be the final option.Rig the HDD to another machine as a slave drive and copy your files across. Then format it and re-install Windows.

When you say starts at the beginning again, do you mean the PC reboots when you choose "Start Windows in Safe Mode"?

I wouldnt have a clue how to connect it to another pc!

Yep the choices that come up are safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode command prompt and one that says something about the last know good setup. If I select the first two safe modes it just goes back to the start, loads up and then comes up with the screen with the safe mode options again, hopefully that makes sense.

So if I use the recovery discs will that delete the info on the computer?

Depends what they have provided as a 'recovery disk' but often the OEM disk is simply a Windows install disk that's hard-coded to wipe the drive and install the OS again. Found that out the hard way a few times!

There are other boot disks you can use that will load a live (usually Unix-based) OS and enable you to run diagnostics on the drives. But really you're getting into needing to have the machine in front of you to advise further I'm afraid :(

Don't click "OK" on any of the boxes, ignore them.

Create a new user account

Start > Control Panel > Users > New User (you may have to set control panel to "classic" view)

Unfortunately the only sure-fire way to eradicate the malware/virus/infection is a rebuild. Pressing F1, ESC or some other key (possibly detailed in instructions or on-screen) may allow you to boot a recovery partition on the HDD.

Shame you're not closer, I'd have fixed it for you.

If you can get it into a stable environment then someone you trust can connect using "remote assistance" and poke around to see if they can fix the issue.

classic virus, albeit a nasty one. You need to copy any work/pics off to another drive before messing with it too much.

I use hirens boot cd ( about rev v15.4 by now. Need to download and burn the iso on another pc though? You can then boot from cd with this to a mini xp enviroment.

and copy your files to another hdd using total commander or explorer.

Then run the antimalware products one above is antimalwarebytes which is good and uvk which will sort out most infestations.

If all else fails once you have your docs then try a reinstall after you have checked to make sure your recovery cd and licence key are to hand.

classic virus, albeit a nasty one. You need to copy any work/pics off to another drive before messing with it too much.I use hirens boot cd ( about rev v15.4 by now. Need to download and burn the iso on another pc though? You can then boot from cd with this to a mini xp enviroment.and copy your files to another hdd using total commander or explorer.Then run the antimalware products one above is antimalwarebytes which is good and uvk which will sort out most infestations.If all else fails once you have your docs then try a reinstall after you have checked to make sure your recovery cd and licence key are to hand.

I'll be honest mate I've no idea what you just said, I think I've got my pics sorted, somehow the virus keeps turning the folders into hidden files, so once I've clicked the view hidden files I can see them.

When I go into program's, all it shows is open office, is there any way of getting my program's back in a similar way to run spybot? Or is that not going to work?