Garage Brickwork Issues

Hmmm

I have a garage which the 90 and 42.8 tones of ****e resides in, that alone is a "Bit of a Problem"

but I do have an larger issue.

The outer wall is just single brick, it also faces I think pretty much South,

and when the rain and winds blows Kin hell don't we know it, as also at the sort of topish of a hill,

so F all the stop rain and wind :(

This year is particularly bad.

I have also a Painted floor, there is water on this, this water has "Leaked" through the single skin brick, its basically

sopping wet. and I iz looking for ideas.

The old lady next door has climbing plants on it, frankly I would have thought this might

help and act as some sort of cover ? BUT it does me I can't nip around and Thompsons Waterseal the outer

brickwork :(

So, questions

What effect ( / is it a good bad idea and why ) to Thompsons Waterseal the INSIDE of the brickwork

I can shove loads of F coats on, but - will it do any good ?

Or

What else - sensibly - could I consider, second cavity is out of question :(

Thoughts and Ideas please

Nige

Nige,

If the climbing plant is like ivy, you'll find that it could be damaging your mortar between the bricks making it even more likely to leak.

Sarah Beany showed on one of her programs what happens with a cavity wall when it gets wet. Also shows that properly pointed and and face brickwork is the best, though it will still 'leak''.

Will try to find a link to a clip of it.

HTH

Chris

Edited: it's episode 2 of help my house is falling down. Can't link to it of my iPad though.

I would ask the next door neighbour if you can clear it and pay for its replacement - ideally with other plants, the wall in the colour of their choice etc. But if they still want ivy, you can apply a waterproof render on the outside. Also you can waterproof the brickwork and mortar with a silicone based liquid that you inject into the brick. It's the stuff used for damp course replacement.

Another option is to cover the outside with a glass sheet, adhered to the brick. Then the ivy will not be able to climb it!

Si

Waterseal is unlikely to help, it's not designed to stop water exiting a damp wall, it's designed to reduce rainwater entering a wall (and it's not much good at that).

If the wall is unpainted inside then cement based tanking will stop the water coming through.

Cheapest place to buy is here http://www.permagard.co.uk/permaseal-tanking-25kg-bucket.html

One bucket should suffice but get two if you're unsure. Mix to a slurry and brush apply, two coats. It's the same stuff you'd use for vaulted cellars and swimming pools so a few plants would be a walk in the park.

It won't help with condensation though and any condensation will run down the wall. You could reduce this with a thin layer of insulation or render.

Sadly no

Our houses are built on a slope her bungalow is significantly lower than our house so when she looks out of lounge and kitchens windows all she will see is our double length garages wall ! Hence why some shrubs - not ivy - have been planted

80% of the year all is ok but come the rain it has come through the brickwork and leaks then onto the painted floor to be honest because the wall in very exposed (nothing much between the wind and rain hitting it as its up higher than bungalow) it did the same years ago when it was stub free its as though the brick become more absorbent every year

Doing much to the outside wall is limited its what maybe could be done to the inside workshop wall or bricks that are my real options ??

Hi Nige

I don't know wether you have frost down your way in winter.

If you do, I certainly wouldnt apply any sealant on the indside as this will minimize the drainage from the bricks - hence they will stay wet for a longer time and when the frost sets in then tha water in the bricks will freeze and the brick will fall apart. This will speed up the proces of breaking down your wall.

The best sollution for you would be to give your neighbour some flowers from time to time, have a nice chat with her about anything and then come summertime and the wether is good for working an the two of you are best pals - then you make her a deal on the bushes/wall-fixing thingie.

Just remember to telle Mrs HFH about the con plan, otherwise she might be a bit jealous and that we cant have.

Cheers

Morten

The bricks will get more absorbent over the years as frost attacks them (and the pointing) whilst they are damp, this leads to the brick facing coming off and the whole thing soaks water more easily. The proper way to fix would be an external waterproof render and leave the inside free to breathe so any moisture can leave the brickwork.

As you can't do this then you could try rendering/tanking on the inside as Steve Hiatt suggested above. Or a more pikey approach just cut a gulley in the floor at the base of the wall so the water runs out of the garage.

BTW certainly worth checking that the soil level on the outside of the wall hasn't been raised above the garage floor level.

Mine is exactly the same, single skin, ground level higher behind, so water just pushes its way through the brickwork. I just cut a grove in front of the wall to direct the water to where I can deal with it. Keep meaning to cut/smash a sump in to the floor where I can then pump out from, but seven years later, still not done it yet.

Have done others where we have painted wall with bitumen paint, not nice job, not nice to look at either, but the modern way is to paint wall with a two part epoxy resin (same as work shops paint their floor with) as you can get this in many colours.

Like this

http://www.diysupermarket.com/epoxy-bs-3000-sg.html

Andy