Defender 110 Tyres

Dunc

Hi everyone,

I've done a search of threads about tyres, but most of them talk about sizes and rims etc, but i know what size i want and i've got the rims, just a bit of user info about some of the tyres please.

If possible, please can anyone who has the following tyres fitted to a 110 or 90 tell me what they're like under normal driving conditions, wet braking, 80-85mph motorway speeds, vibration, cabin noise, wear rate, self cleaning properties, clay, mud, grass etc etc...

1) Insa Turbo Sahara

2) Technic Amazon

3) Bronco Grizzly Claw

4) Colway C-Trax M/T

I'm not sure whether to replace the current BFG A/T 265/75 with the same again or get one of the tyres listed above, so any comparisons from experience is appreciated.

Any suggestions for other tyres greatfully received too. Ideally i want to get away from the second set of rims thing which means whichever set of tyres i'm on i wish i was on the others! Currently the 2nd set are Tracker remoulds and i'm sure as heck not having those again because they slide in the wet and vibrate like a dutch night workers plaything...

Thanks in advance

Dunc. B)

By the way, i think these look delicious, but i don't want to completely destroy my on-road handling and i can't afford to change them once i've got them!

kobratracnt.jpg

But they are the same pattern as two of the tyres on your list.

FWIW I use Fedima Extremes, also same pattern, and would say their on road handling is comparable to BFG MT's and only slightly noisier, and off road they beat BFG MT's hands down.

Having not personally driven on any of the actual tyres in your list I will refrain from commenting on them except to say only 3 of them would be on any list of mine.

Thanks Mark.

Yes, i know the tyre is similar to the Amazon and the Sahara, it really is what i'd like but i'm worried about losing wet weather on-road braking and too much vibration.

I can't afford to have 2 sets of tyres anymore, so i ned to try and find one that will satisfy both.

Vibration can be an issue with some of the chunky remoulds that can difficult to balance. My Fedimas are balanced and there's no wobble/vibration at speed, just the hum of the tyres on tarmac. I had some Colway AT's on a disco before and they where great balanced easily with not too much weight and where good handling and quiet, expect the MT's to be similar quality.

Any MT is going to have more limited traction than your AT's on the road especially in the wet. All I can say is I ran BFG MT's as my everyday tyre for a few years and had no issues with the road performance and my Fedimas as as good as my BFG MT's but not as good as my old colway AT's, which is only to be expected really.

As for the direction of the tyres, I just run a non-matching spare so it does matter which side it goes on. If I wasn't so tight and had a set of 5 I'd mount the spare for the n/s and if it needed to go on the o/s then so be it, it'd only be a temporary thing anyway.

Vibration can be an issue with some of the chunky remoulds that can difficult to balance. My Fedimas are balanced and there's no wobble/vibration at speed, just the hum of the tyres on tarmac. I had some Colway AT's on a disco before and they where great balanced easily with not too much weight and where good handling and quiet, expect the MT's to be similar quality.

I've got the Colway A/Ts on my Rangey and they're fantastic tyres.

The more i think about it, the more confused i get! Be interesting to see what Bronco say about the 265 Grip Edge. I still fancy the Amazon/Sahara type though!

:D

The "one sets or two sets" argument is an interesting one. If you have one set then there comes a point where they are a bit too worn to cope with really gooey stuff but not worn enough to justify chucking them when there is still the best part of 50% of the tread left.... whereas if you have a good set then they get relatively little use so when you want them you've got the tyre at its best, and they last for years. I've had my set of BFG 33x12.50R15's for about six years now I think, and they still have about 2/3 of the tread left of them (I ran them as everyday tyres for a while otherwise they'd be almost as new). If I get another 5 or 10 years out of them (quite possible) the cost per year is pretty cheap really!

The smaller BFGs I run on the 90 every day are starting to get to the stage where anything resembling a bootful of throttle means you need to clean the roof when you get home because they just spin where they used to bite and off you'd go.... but because I know I have the other set for serious forays, I won't be chucking them just yet as they are OK for much of the mixed driving I do from one week to the next. But if they were my only set, I'd probably be thinking about getting new ones soon - so having 2 sets is not necessarily more expensive in the long term!

so having 2 sets is not necessarily more expensive in the long term!

Hmm, never thought about it like that SQL. Maybe i should chuck Colway A/T's on and save up for the Amazon/Sahara/Extreme/Macho and some other rims. What i save with the Colways might help fund the spare set.

Dunc

Not sure what tyres they are above but, I just got a set of Cooper Discoverer STT's (Mud Tyres) delivered to my door for £85 a corner. They are not the new model but they are still very good tyres. Got them from Sinton Tyres in Milton Keynes. They may still have some of the old ones left in the size you want.

Rgds

Ivan