Idea for a hand throttle

mikec

Right guys, I want a hand throttle, (if I ever get the thing on the road!), so a little while ago I bought one of the kits Craddocks sells, mainly for the mount and cable as the brackets for a different engine, anyway, now I'm fitting ms I was cleaning up the plenum the other day and noticed the cruise control balloon thing. So I had a thought could I get a 12v air solenoid, fit it on the end of the balloon, and connect it to a vacum on the engine, all I would have to do would be set the throttle on the pedal, flick a switch actuate the solenoid and it'd set the revs where I wanted it, now after getting all excited it about this I thought it might not actually work, it's not running at the minute so can't try anything out. So other than being an over complicated way of doing it, do any of you "adults" have any ways to get it going? Cheers mike

I came across a load of new lawn mover throttle cables some time ago and dished them out to my Land Rover friends. We all made extra brackets on the throttle linkage to attach the extra cable to.

The cable was long enough for them to be mounted on the side of the transmission tunnel/cubby box and they had enough resistance to hold the throttle open

Simple and effective!

Pukka hand throttle is a closed-loop control setup as you need to govern speed against load, not just open the butterfly X amount (for that, just buy a choke cable).

If you have PWM idle control in the MS the showing-off version would be to modify the idle control target RPM and let the MS do the work ;) Admittedly to do it without a laptop/iPhone to hand is trickier but not impossible.

I came across a load of new lawn mover throttle cables some time ago and dished them out to my Land Rover friends. We all made extra brackets on the throttle linkage to attach the extra cable to.

The cable was long enough for them to be mounted on the side of the transmission tunnel/cubby box and they had enough resistance to hold the throttle open

Simple and effective!

Oh yeah I could do it that way but where's the fun in that :0

Pukka hand throttle is a closed-loop control setup as you need to govern speed against load, not just open the butterfly X amount (for that, just buy a choke cable).

If you have PWM idle control in the MS the showing-off version would be to modify the idle control target RPM and let the MS do the work ;) Admittedly to do it without a laptop/iPhone to hand is trickier but not impossible.

Tell me more fridge :) using iPhone to do it would be ace!

You could parallel two valves, the PWM driver (if it's a Megasquirt-V8 ECU) can handle a couple of amps.

Using iPhone I'd look at Dave W's MS app and just modify the idle RPM value (if you can do that, I've not looked closely at the app as I don't own an iPhone)

Me, I'd use a tiny microprocessor to talk on the serial port and dial the idle RPM setting up & down ;)

You could parallel two valves, the PWM driver (if it's a Megasquirt-V8 ECU) can handle a couple of amps.

Using iPhone I'd look at Dave W's MS app and just modify the idle RPM value (if you can do that, I've not looked closely at the app as I don't own an iPhone)

Me, I'd use a tiny microprocessor to talk on the serial port and dial the idle RPM setting up & down ;)

You could knock up a nice little module with an lcd display and some up and down buttons, probably simple enough to do using one of the many uProcessor prototype kits around nowadays. Maybe you could persuade Nige to start offering them as a kit ;)

• 2 months later...