Mixing AT tyres

ezeman

I would like to change from Bridgtsone Deuler 694's to BFGoodrich AT's.

I can only afford to replace the two tyres that need it. Is it safe to put the two new BFGoodrich on the back axle and retain the Deullers on the front? Obviously this will be a temporary fix and will be fully converted in maybe 5000km.

I find the Deulers a little light weight for the bog holes and rocky hills.

Thanks Boro

This may be a silly question but how close should the sizes be? I realised that even if I renew with the same brand the diameter of the new tyres would be 20mm bigger.

I wondered how the viscous centre diff-lock might deal with small differences in the tyre sizeshandle different sizes. And whether the slight difference might generate heat.

As I said, it might be a silly question.

Kenny

Your visco will not like it if you mix tyres. New vs worn thread or one brand/type vs another can give a difference in diameter of 2-3 % (or more), which means a speed difference of 2-3% between front and rear axle. Your visco will be slipping all the time, generating heat, wearing out the oil and possibly lock up eventually...

I am having a similar issue but with the fact that I can no longer get the General AT2 in the size I need and needing two new tyres on the rear for the Autokeuring I am having to replace all four due to not being able to get two of the correct size and brand to match the front pair, luckily it is on a D1 with a manual locking diff but it won't have done it any good having two completely worn out tyres on the back(they are not actually road legal at all, I would get better traction from drawing tread on them with a permanent marker)

@Escape - thanks, I guess there's no such thing as a silly question.

I just rejected a full set of massive & nearly new BFGoodrich AT 32's for $900 coz i wasnt sure if the drive train could cope with the higher gearing. That would be cheaper than set of new 245/70 tyres - maybe I should buy the big feet.

Any fears/concerns on fitting such big tyres?

@Escape - thanks, I guess there's no such thing as a silly question.

I just rejected a full set of massive & nearly new BFGoodrich AT 32's for $900 coz i wasnt sure if the drive train could cope with the higher gearing. That would be cheaper than set of new 245/70 tyres - maybe I should buy the big feet.

Any fears/concerns on fitting such big tyres?

Buy them I know you'll like them ^_^

Onlything you then need to do is re-calibrate your speedo,yeah they are a little bit taller but you won't really notice it unless you are rushing and in a hurry when you are driving, you will appreciate the extra diff clearance too :ph34r:

Buy the big boots, you wont regret it! The BFG AT is a good tyre and a 32" looks great on an RRC. For offroad use you will need a lift and/or add clearance to the wheel arches to prevent rubbing though. Especially if they are wider than the 245s you have now.

There are plenty of LR out there with standard drive train and 32 or 33" tyres. As long as you engage your brain before hitting the throttle you'll be allright. ;-)

The 3.9 will have no problem with a slightly higher overall gearing, in fact it will cruise better because of the lower revs. Only with a heavy trailer you may notice the difference, just keep it in a lower gear if needed.

Filip

It is important that you keep front and rear wheel circumferences the same. I think the maximum the centre diff can handle is about 5kph difference. You can check on the effects of different tyre sizes at this site:

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

Along with larger tyres - General Grabber AT2 265/75/R16 - I fitted wheel spacers, and these allowed me to adjust the steering stops to improve the turning circle. A 110 needs all the help it can get in this department.

Mike