300tdi will not start, baffled ??

Landowner

Disco 1 300tdi, no ECU for fuel delivery except alarm

Engine will not start on key, began two weeks ago with a bad start in the cold and got worse until now it will not fire up when cranked, not even kicking .

Start it with easy start and it then fires up and runs ok, tick over at 750 rpm, turbo working ok.

Drained tank and put 15 litres of fresh diesel in because I have been using 50% bio and I blamed it on that.

Removed sediment filter and by passed it

Another new fuel filter today

New lift pump today

Fuel at injectors when cranked

No power when setting off, have to bring revs up or it will stall other wise ok, maybe a little down on power but not drastic.

Cant figure it unless the Injector pump is faulty

Any ideas welcome....thanks

Mine had same problem but mine was stood for 11mths changed fuel pump is fine now was sucking in air at the pump casing.

Went through 3 lift pumps before problem solved

Was hoping that I wouldn't have to change pump. I have one but it will mean snapped off studs, new cam belt and P gasket while I'm doing it, long job :mellow:

Just been out in it and plenty of power over 1500 and whoosh at 2000 when turbo realy kicks in

tried to stall it and it dropped to 500 rpm then stopped like it had been switched off.

replace the injector copper washers, they're pence each and 20 minutes to change. I've had it before, basically blow by causes the compression to drop which makes starting difficult, easy start gives it the kick it needs to get going and once running, it's ok, probably actually gets better as it gets warm because everything expands.

Hope that helps

replace the injector copper washers, they're pence each and 20 minutes to change. I've had it before, basically blow by causes the compression to drop which makes starting difficult, easy start gives it the kick it needs to get going and once running, it's ok, probably actually gets better as it gets warm because everything expands.

Hope that helps

Thanks for that but I failed to mention that it wont start hot either, even if just switched off it wont start back up

Could it be a timing issue? Belt jumped a tooth?

Then it would run a little rough surely, she ticks over beautiful and had loads of power now after 1250/1500 revs only down on power from tickover and cam belt not that old so cant see it jumping a tooth as I dont abuse the engine.

Its looking like pump I think so the disco's future is scrap in a few weeks as I aint spending any more time or money on it, recently renewed calipers discs bake flexis, swivel bearings etc.

Might as well spend the time and money on my 90 and get it mot'd, much better to drive a 90 than a Disco ^_^

Baffled even more now !!!

Put bio back in after running on pure diesel (still wouldn't start on Diesel) I'm now on about 80% Bio

Still wont start but runs lovely, loads of power all the way through except maybe between 1000 and 1500 rpm.

Did a few blasts away from the lights in the dark with vehicles following to check smoke, took her round to 4000 in first, second and third, went like stink but no smoke, not a whisper, nothing showing in the lights of the closely following vehicles, not normal surely???

Difficult to stall the engine, engine still trying to pull away on tickover in first gear with the brakes on, goes down to 500 rpm before she dies??

Doesn't sound like a worn pump to me but why wont she start? why no smoke when she starts up on ether, is my excess fuel thingy faulty do you think ??

How do I get to the stop solenoid pl\ease (98 300tdi no ecu)

Well it's not the sediment bowl, lift pump, fuel filter, injector pump, injectors or leak off pipes.

Started three times today with no problem

Didn't start another three times needed easy start.

Wouldn't start hot, wouldn't start cold

Started hot, started warm and started from cold.

So must be an electrical problem, I'm sure now that its the box on the back of the pump

I'll let you know when I can get a dry day to take it off and hot wire the starter solenoid

Thanks for all the hints and tips, more than one problem happened together, sediment bowl and lift pump at the same time as starting problems. :wacko:

Hmmm....this is starting to sound familiar. Check the voltage at the stop solenoid with ignition on and engine off. Make sure the battery is well charged, and run a live feed direct from battery to solenoid, make sure you hear it lifting. See if she starts.

Had problems with a van a few years ago, tell you about it later...

A dollar to a bucket of donkey poo that you have an intermittant electrical fault causing the fuel solonoid to remain closed. Next time she wont start bypass it to power it open (a simple wire with two crocodile clips will suffice) and see what happens, also is this a manual or auto ? if its the latter you could have a sticking lock out switch.

sorry, not been able to get the security box off the pump due to the weather.

I'll have a go in the week if I can , thanks

There seems to be a spate of these things going wrong at the same time... this is the third post I've seen in a the last couple of weeks (I've got the same problem). The unit in question is referred to as a "DDS" (or "cut-off valve solenoid assembly"). JSF in Norwich have quoted me £154 for a replacement part if that helps... I'm planning to remove mine altogether though (when the snow thaws).

There seems to be a spate of these things going wrong at the same time... this is the third post I've seen in a the last couple of weeks (I've got the same problem). The unit in question is referred to as a "DDS" (or "cut-off valve solenoid assembly"). JSF in Norwich have quoted me £154 for a replacement part if that helps... I'm planning to remove mine altogether though (when the snow thaws).

Weathers a little better today but freezing cold.

Engine wont tick over now, it will when cold but when warmed up it sometimes dies if the revs drop below 1000, other times it'll tick over lovely but not if revs drop suddenly I have to bring revs down to tickover gently or she stops.

No power at anything below 1200 revs, have to slip the clutch to start off.

I have blown back down fuel supply line and checked new lift pump and fitted new fuel filter and bled it at the filter whilst running.

No sediment bowl on it (by passed) and it's not the boi mix that's causing it because I drained it all out and filled up with derv.

Only start with easy start as well... could it be worn pump, cant check pressures but have a spare 300 pump which I may end up fitting if weather gets warmer.

Changed the fuel filter again yesterday and checked the lift pump, I'm begining to think that the injector pump is at fault

It was the injector pump.

Put an earlier one on that I had from a 94 300tdi and it runs better, more power than ever before, no smoke at all.

Changed the front crank oil seal and cam belt and pulleys while I was at it.

Thanks for all your input