Storing long things when you have a roof tent

Hi all,

Right, me and the missus are off gallivanting around Europe in the summer in the 90, fitted with a rooftent. It all went swimmingly last year, so we are doing an extended trip this year. However, this year I wish to take my surfboard, which being 7ft long, I would normally put on the roof... but there is the roof tent up there...

So, I am thinking of bolting a couple of think wooden battens across the internal rain gutter and creating an "internal roof rack", however, I suspect that I may still struggle to fit the board in.

I am now out of ideas - has anyone solved similar problems in some ingenious way that I cannot think of? Or will I have to ditch the board... :(

Ta

You could come up with something that holds it on the side of the roofrack... Or between the roofrack and the roof if you could extend the legs of the roofrack.

Between roofrack and roof was my first thought, but the current clearance isn't enough, and the rack is an expensive patriot job so I don't really want to chop it about. Plus I'm a fairly large bloke so dont want me and the missus to go crashing through the roof on my first night of the holiday. And finally the old girl gets top heavy / body rolly enough with just the roof tent and an ammo box, so I don't want those going even higher up!

Side of the roofrack would have to go up high or it would stop me opening the door, it would then also get in the way of the roof tent...

But thanks for the thoughts, hopefully someone will point out something I've forgotten or missed out!

Either you can make a cradle that allows the board to sit just above the roof tent, could easily be collapsable.

If you are interested in the inside option, this is what I did for my OzTent. Works really well and means I can store the tent inside the 110 whilst out walking etc.

DSC_0330_zpsef1e5212.jpg

DSC_0337_zps118c640b.jpg

I wouldn't fit the surf board internally - it'd be a nasty projectile in a crash. I'd make a little trestle for the roof rack so that one end of the board can sit on the RRT and the other on the trestle, all secured with ratchet straps.

I don't know how your tent opens - other than you saying you cannot mount it on the side as it will interfere.

What about mounting it on the side but on a bracket which allows it to fold out flat - a bit like a shallow awning - above the doors while the tent is open. When the tent is closed, it sits vertically against the side of the tent.

Si

Brill chaps - thanks for the good ideas - its a howling moon job - mounted so it hinges out over the bonnet and the ladder clips into the front bumper. The straps and zips for the cover are on the side, hence needing access. Im stripping out the interior trim etc to fit some custom storage so will do some measuring and maybe a dry fit.

Internal is preferred for security as well so people dont nick it when we are parked up. I like Si's idea though as well.

Out with the tape measure methinks!

Cut the board in half, attach a piano hinge and an over-centre catch, Bob's your uncle.

Other than that, strap it on the top of the tent and accept that you will have to remove it before bed and store it (diagonally?) in the car overnight.

Or what is the distance from the bottom of your crossmember to the top of the tent? That must be the thick end of 6 feet so a seven foot board fitted vertically to the spare wheel will not stick up excessively - you may feel that you need some lower mounting for the board on the towbar though...

HTH

Chris

• Like 1

How much surfing are you really going to do on an extended road trip around Europe? Unless you do the entire west coast of the UK, Ireland France and possibly Portugal I can't see there being many opportunities?

Also, is hiring a board that big a deal when you are actually on a road trip with the missus not a surfing holiday?

I say the easy fix is leave it at home and plan a surfing holiday for another time.

Note that the above is written with absolutely bu99er all knowledge of surfing..........

Get rid of the daft waste of space and money roof tent and put the board on the roof rack.

HTH

Mo

No :) As I won't then be able to use the cheap/free campervan parks. And I much prefer the comfort of a rooftent compared to any ground based alternative :P

• 2 years later...

Not a fan of roof racks myself, the springs on my bull-bar mounted aerials get tested a lot.
I'd personally ignore the pod and use either the racks or a tray, depending on what items need securing.
Lots of little items, a tray. I'd lay down a tarp (same width and double the length of the tray), load the items in. Again depending on the items, I'd either tie the items in, cover with the tarp and them lash the tarp down or I'd cover with the tarp and tie down the lot.
The couple of times I've needed to take oversize items on my ute, I've just thrown them on the roof as is. Canopy on the back is fibreglass with tie down points on the side of the ute, up the front I lay down a rag to prevent scratching and then loop tie down straps into the cab through the open front doors. Works great and much cheaper buying roof racks.
The big thing to remember, is where ever you go, you are now taller. You may not fit into drive thru's, underground parking lots etc. In the bush you can find low tree branches etc. Also, if you put heavy items up high, you further increase your risk of roll over.

I have a problem with my 14 foot beach casters in the winter when moving between fishing marks, they don't fit inside the 110 and if you leave rod carriers on the roof some scrote will have them away. Before anyone suggests taking the rods apart - they wanna try it when ambient temp is minus 5/6 and everything is frozen solid. Still looking for a way of doing this. Suggestions greatly received

How close does the roof rack fit against the roof of the 90, is there anyway the surf board could fit in between.

(never seen a surf board up close so no idea if this is a stupid suggestion).

As for the fishing rods, could you not use plumbing pipe, in 2m section collapsible when you are away to store in the car, but easy enough to add together to store the rods and attached to the roof of the 110,

How close does the roof rack fit against the roof of the 90, is there anyway the surf board could fit in between.

(never seen a surf board up close so no idea if this is a stupid suggestion).

As for the fishing rods, could you not use plumbing pipe, in 2m section collapsible when you are away to store in the car, but easy enough to add together to store the rods and attached to the roof of the 110,

Used to use that method till scrotes removed the "locking" roof bars and the tubes!