Simple question

argh ok so i am guessing this will be getting into an offset game then....

truth be told its to fit to a series 3 my reason for asking here is it was a question about a defender part

happy to hear that my tyres will fit defender rims though

next question lol what is the offset of bog standard steel defender rims?

Any Series and Defender steel wheels are interchangeable, though offsets vary. You can use Series wheels on a Defender, as LR did with SIIA 1-ton rims on the Camel Trophy 110s, or Wolf rims on a Series vehicle. After market steel wheels or alloys with open centres (eg Predator or ZU) can be used on either vehicles, but check the studs are long enough.

OK... i am searching ebay & getting frustrated

what is the width of OEM original fitment defender wheels?

i know they are 16 inches diameter but i need to know if they will take a 235/85 tyre ( or indeed a 7.50 /16 )

It is frustrating, and a potential minefield:

Standard original defender steel wheels are 5.5 inch wide (same as LWB series) and the largest tyre size recommended for this width is 7.50 x 16.

235/85 X 16 Tyres have a manufacturers minimum rim width fitting of 6 inches.

'Wolf' style steel wheels are 6.5 inches width and can be used for both 7.50 x16 AND 235/85 x 16 tyres.

Most 'Aftermarket' steel LR fitment wheels (eg 8 spokes and modulars)are most commonly 7 inches wide (same as most LR fitment alloys) and can take 235/85 and 265/75 x 16 tyres.

Be aware that only the later original defender steel wheels are tubeless. The majority will be tube type, so will require innertubes.

Just be carefull to ensure you get what you need.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Diff.

It is frustrating, and a potential minefield:

Standard original defender steel wheels are 5.5 inch wide (same as LWB series) and the largest tyre size recommended for this width is 7.50 x 16.

235/85 X 16 Tyres have a manufacturers minimum rim width fitting of 6 inches.

'Wolf' style steel wheels are 6.5 inches width and can be used for both 7.50 x16 AND 235/85 x 16 tyres.

Most 'Aftermarket' steel LR fitment wheels (eg 8 spokes and modulars)are most commonly 7 inches wide (same as most LR fitment alloys) and can take 235/85 and 265/75 x 16 tyres.

Be aware that only the later original defender steel wheels are tubeless. The majority will be tube type, so will require innertubes.

Just be carefull to ensure you get what you need.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Diff.

Thanks that is really useful information

I currently have some tatty aftermarket wheels, which I am considering changing for wolf types, if i can find them.

am i correct in thinking a wolf is 6.5j?

If I'm not mistaken, Wolf rims are welded, not riveted, so air leaks aren't an issue. As long as the rim has the raised hums just inside from the edge that keep the tyre bead in place, then they should be OK for use tubeless. Sometimes tyres and wheels are marked as one thing when in fact they can do both, eg tubed tyres can normally be used tubeless too, though tubeless marked tyres can't be used with tubes as their innards are too rough and puncture tubes...

Tube type Wolf wheels do not have the safety hump, so cannot be used with tubeless tyres. The tubeless variety do of course, and are in my opinion the best wheel for Land Rovers. Heavy, but very very strong and they don't look out of place.

Discovery steel rims are 7" wide I thought?