Wheel Balancing Problem

I recently bought a 2006 Defender 90 which came with a set of 15" modular wheels and a set of 8 year old 31/10.5/15 Mud tyres that were pretty shot. Driving on them at about 45 mph they felt like they needed balancing. In the end I bought a new set of 31/10.5/15 General Grabber AT2 and had them fitted. The tyre fitter said he was having a problem balancing them despite having all the right kit for this size wheel. He said they were showing they needed an unusually high amount of weights to balance them to the degree that he left them as they were. I tried somewhere else but they made the wheel balance problem worse. It was suggested that the wheels themselves might be the problem and I should invest in a new set as the current ones may be a back street build or modification. Has anyone had similar experience or can suggest a solution? Sorry for the long post!

How much weight is unusually high?

I had two balanced recently and had quite a chat with the bloke doing the work, mine needed around 120 grams per wheel which the guy said wasn't bad for a wheel of that size, he said they tend to draw the line at about 400 grams .....

BTW the balancing cured the 45-50mph wheel wobble I'd been experiencing perfectly