LED Tail Lights

tuko

I have a nasty habit of breaking the rear lights on the hybrid, so I'm looking for suggestions for surface mounted LED tail lights. Whether they are surface mounted or builtin isn't a problem or if they are combination or single lamps.

I'm looking for lamps that don't look too out of place but are modern and don't stick out so far.

Ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Todd.

I've considered them and also BOB new LED original looking lamps but as I said earlier, I have this nasty habit of breaking them. Yes protection is in the cards but flush mounting or slightly proud of the surface is what I'm really looking for. I've see so many J**p's with their original lights removed and replaced with flush mounting lights, I'm wondering if any Land Rovers have been converted to?

Todd.

Hi Todd,

If you are after something low profile I think that your only choice are the trailer square LED units, I have some on my overland trailer and they are fairly good, and only stick out 15mm but wouldn't give you that classic look but won't look that odd.

I have just brought a set of the BOB classic look LED's as everything looked yellow against my new lights they will sit behind guards so will hopeful remain unbroken although they do look fairly tough, well tougher than the standard units.

Jason.

Todd,

I didn't realise there was a magazine price!! (hope it wasn't less) I paid £119 inc P&P, the kit includes the eight lights, new screws, and a variable flasher relay.

The units are a complete sealed unit but seem very tough and well constructed, at under £15 each I didn't think it was a bad deal.

Jason.

Sorry Jason but the price in the latest magazines is £99.99 for the set.

"8 RDX LED Standard Lamps with our RDX 4 pin Flasher relay for just £99.99 yes you read right £99.99 a set all in all done buy them now!"

Whether their is a difference from standard to Td5, I have no idea but I can add that the pricing on eBay doesn't reflect that.

Todd.

LRM the last 2 issues.

Todd.

Doh!! Was that including delivery and VAT do you know? guess there is not a lot I can do about it now and was happy at that price.

Jason.

Use the rear lights that toyroverlander used on his rebuild. They are poison spyder customs or something. Unfortunately they are 24v so require some funny wiring if you are 12v but he had a good diagram on how they went, and they look sh*t hot!

Use the rear lights that toyroverlander used on his rebuild. They are poison spyder customs or something. Unfortunately they are 24v so require some funny wiring if you are 12v but he had a good diagram on how they went, and they look sh*t hot!

I'll look, thanks.

Todd.

Excellent image, thanks.

A bit or research here (Sweden) has indicated that I can't have a red signal lamp if the vehicle originally came with amber signal lamps. So a pair of flush mounted signals (2½") will be needed, therefore I created this template showing the outer circumference of the mounting gourmets just to show how large these lamps will be.

2½" signal plus the 4" tail light.

post-194-0-79735500-1358165170_thumb.jpg

Does this look too out of place or out of proportion or what ???

Todd.

Personally, I think two LED NAS lamps (at 95 mm dia) stacked one above the other would work quite well, and not look too out of proportion. Would have to be LE Perei Originals though, not the horrible copies that Paddocks (amongst others) are selling. I’m considering doing this on my coiler, but I seem to be in a minority of one who thinks it’s a good idea 

It’s a thought anyway.

Matt

Excellent image, thanks.

A bit or research here (Sweden) has indicated that I can't have a red signal lamp if the vehicle originally came with amber signal lamps. So a pair of flush mounted signals (2½") will be needed, therefore I created this template showing the outer circumference of the mounting gourmets just to show how large these lamps will be.

2½" signal plus the 4" tail light.

attachicon.gifcamerafv5_0067 (Medium).JPG

Does this look too out of place or out of proportion or what ???

Todd.

Too bad about not being allowed to have red indicators, would have been easy. Though it makes the wiring slightly more complicated.

Mine are Trucklite model 44's. Have a look on their website, they have heaps more. Perhaps you can find something that's just perfect for you.

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=30661

Personally, I reckon that those lights have to be the same size otherwise it looks a bit funny.

• 3 months later...

It's been a while since I started this thread and finally I can report that I found and installed what I was looking for. I wanted flush mounting lights that had built in RED tail/brake lights and AMBER signal lights. Round lights would have been ideal but I couldn't find anything that was small enough to fit the avail space but rectangular lights were easier to find and fit.

post-194-0-25036500-1367419921_thumb.jpg

post-194-0-39462500-1367420019_thumb.jpg

post-194-0-45585800-1367419906_thumb.jpg

post-194-0-21790000-1367420004_thumb.jpg

post-194-0-79608700-1367420068_thumb.jpg

The rubber grommets do make the lights appear to be bigger than they are, something that I can live with. ;) Being flush mounted these lights will no longer be getting damaged when I'm on the trails (fingers crossed).

Plus the huge benefit of having larger more effective lighting on the rear, I'm very pleased with this installation.

You can check the lights out here:

and last nights test with LED's on only the left and the regular bulbs on the right:

Todd.