Drivetrain 'slack'?

Chaps/chapess'

Just bought a 130 and am over the moon with it. Bought it with a known 'fault' and just wanted some pointers. The seller is/was totally honest and sold it as having a worn diff. When you pull away it has that common 'clonk' type noise that is consistent with worn input shaft from gearbox (R380 with 190k on, not sure if its original box or not).

The question is, what is the best test to find out whether the wear is in the diffs or box? I am gueeing jacking it up and removing props and turn by hand maybe?

The easiest test is just to remove the inspection plate and look at the splines inside the input gear as you try turning it with your finger tips, it's only 6 bolts so easier than removing props and you can see how bad it is. Put the transfer box in neutral.

You can even do it while sitting in the truck by working through the inspection plat under the cubby box/centre seat.

As above take off the cover and inspect input gear with a torch.Other sources of the drive train clunk are a bit easier - found most of my slack in the drive train was the rear shafts and drive members - easy enough to test - take off the rear dust caps and rock the truck forwards and backwards, look for slack at the splines, then move onto uj's and also the rear a frame bj.

Enjoy the new truck.

Steve

Mine was the gearbox output shaft, it was at the point of almost losing all the splines, they were just like little triangles with some broken completely.

I didn't replace the shaft just the input gear as the cross drilled ones have longer splines and will run on the unworn part of the output shaft, I pulled the gear again after 16000 miles and could see no new spline wear so I will keep running this way.

• 2 months later...
When I do this test, I chock the wheels and take the hand brake off, leaving the gearbox in first. I then use the handbrake drum to rotate the gear inside the t'box. I've a video on youtube showing what it looks like.

Nice one. Explains/shows it very well. Something I plan to have a look at... one day soon!