RRC brake pedal not fully returning

reggie

I would assume there is a hefty return spring somewhere on the pedal - there certainly is on Series and Defender vehicles, and the latter use very similar components to a near identical system as the non-ABS RRC and Discovery. I'd bet the spring is broken or incorrectly fitted.

It's been parked up for three years while I've been doing bits here & there to it when I can find time. Not quite sure how long it has been doing it but noticed it when trying to move it about, I move it to the drive to work on it. Yes it is an abs model, a 1993. One other thing I've noticed is the brake lights stay on even when the pedal is brought up full travel with my foot. I have I obvously got down there & checked & the pedal is just shy of the brake light switch. This is rather puzzling though as that means this was happening before I took it off the road & I was driving with my brake lights on all the time? The only thing I know has been messed with is the brake pedal was swapped over to an auto one by a friend when I changed the manual gearbox to auto. He assured me that the pedal boxes are the same after I quizzed him as to why he only swapped the pedal & not the whole box as I requested. Thing is I'm now wondering how I never noticed any of this while using it, I even did some green lane trips so you think the people behind me would have said "your brake lights are always on"?

Sounds like it could well be that the clevis pin is fitted to the wrong hole on the brake pedal then. I did that at first when I changed my booster block. The pin should go through the upper of the two holes according to RAVE. If that is correct I would go for something stopping working in the booster block itself whilst it has been sat.