twin batteries

• 2 weeks later...
Winch looks off now... still thinking I need one. Headlights are dimming when ever I touch anything

Hang on - is this with all your 'other' lights on or just generally? If the latter, you have a wiring problem which you need to sort first. mmgemini's headlamp wiring upgrade is a good place to start.

And, as you've seen, there are many different ways to do 'twin batteries' - VB is a big avocado of a 2nd alternator, myself I prefer a beefy split charge relay (with a manual over-ride and link-together isolator switch for self-jump and winching). There's no 'right' answer - all systems have their pluses and minuses.

Hang on - is this with all your 'other' lights on or just generally? If the latter, you have a wiring problem which you need to sort first. mmgemini's headlamp wiring upgrade is a good place to start.

And, as you've seen, there are many different ways to do 'twin batteries' - VB is a big avocado of a 2nd alternator, myself I prefer a beefy split charge relay (with a manual over-ride and link-together isolator switch for self-jump and winching). There's no 'right' answer - all systems have their pluses and minuses.

Yes i am a huge fan of 2 alts and the reasons being is this:

1. A split charge system, doesnt matter how much or little or inteligent it is, doesnt charge anything when your alt breaks.

2. If an alt breaks, close the isolator across the battery possitives and you have 2 charging batteries.

3. Big (100amp) alts are very capable of breaking a fan belt.

4. Higher output available for heavy loads. Join the battery possitives again and both alts will power your winch/inverter etc.

It has its draw backs... Belts everywhere (i have a compressor as well) so it saps a bit of power and a little bit of economy and the bits cost more than a relay and some wire.

Whilst I agree with the above comments on using a second alternator don't forget that, as long as you are prepared to get your hands dirty, a heavy duty split charge can be made for around £30. In total, my 80amp set up cost £31, albeit 3 years ago.

I used the LR system [spilt charge relay & loom] as shown in http://www.numcat.ru/landrover/p/31/52838/ it plugs straight into the existing dash/bilkhead loom at the a unused plug adjacent to the heater unit.

I didn't fit items 7 to 12 inclusive, just connected the split charge loom to the batteries, it's been in & working for over 12 years without any problems,

At present I have a switched relay to link the batteries for charging. However, battery #2 is only used to power the Webasto pre-heater, ham radio gear and other (relatively compared to an electric winch) low powered devices. I shall fit one of the X-eng split chargers one day...

Cheers,